Frequently Asked Questions Archive

Summer 2021 (Added August 13, 2021)

How do I get access to campus this summer?
I am not here. How do I stop getting reminders for testing and daily health checks?
What are the policies guiding eligibility and use of the YSS COVID-19 Courses and YSS COVID-19 Housing Subsidies for summer study ("the special arrangement") that are available to first-year students and sophomores?
What are the public health requirements for gaining access to campus this summer?
What courses, activities, and travel opportunities are available during summer 2021?
Will the museums be open for teaching and research?
Will the Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning be open?

Fall 2021 Move-In (Added August 31, 2021)

New Haven and Connecticut

What local policies and recommendations are in place? (Updated March 25, 2020)

New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker has asked residents to leave their homes only for groceries, medical supplies, or other essentials. Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont has closed restaurants, bars, movie theaters, and gyms, and ordered all businesses and nonprofits to institute telecommuting practices to the maximum extent possible. For more details and regular updates, please monitor the New Haven and Connecticut COVID-19 sites

Back to top

Residential Colleges

Will the residential colleges be open to students remaining in New Haven? (Updated March 18, 2020)

Only students with permission to remain in their dorm rooms will have access to the colleges. Common spaces and program spaces in colleges (butteries, gyms, libraries, music rooms, theaters, etc.) will be off-limits even for those students.

Back to top

Are there guidelines for those students remaining in the residential colleges? (Updated March 25, 2020)

Yes. They are being asked to follow social distancing guidelines, and may not admit visitors to the residential college. For more details, please see the Guidelines for Students Remaining on Campus (PDF).

Back to top

Can I still access my room? (Updated March 16, 2020)

The residential colleges are now red-lit (locked) for all students, with the exception of a small number of students who have explicit permission to remain during the remote learning period. Those students must be registered with their head of college.

Back to top

May I return to campus to pick up my belongings? (Updated March 16, 2020)

No. A national emergency has been declared in the United States. Public health experts recommend physical distancing and avoiding all non-essential travel. We recognize this change of policy creates challenges, but we must respond to the national public health crisis.

Back to top

I filled out the Essential Items Survey. When will I get the items I requested? (New March 23, 2020)

The project of retrieving essential items is well underway. If you made your request by the March 18 deadline, you will receive a confirmation email with tracking information from Dorm Room Movers; your items will follow. If you submitted your survey after that deadline, we may not have been able to incorporate your request.

Back to top

One of my essential items was a musical instrument. Why haven’t I gotten that? (New March 25, 2020)

Some musical instruments were set aside for specialized packing and shipment. We were preparing to do this when Governor Ned Lamont halted all non-essential in-person work in the State. Unfortunately, we will not be able to proceed with the return of those items until after that order has been lifted.

Back to top

I didn’t fill out the Essential Items Survey. Can I do so now? (New March 23, 2020)

Unfortunately, we cannot accept new retrieval requests at this time. With the likelihood of shelter-in-place orders and other restrictions, such work is becoming increasingly difficult. If becomes possible to do a second round of retrievals, we will let students know.

Back to top

How will I retrieve my other belongings? (Updated March 23, 2020)

We are still working on arrangements for retrieval, storage, and shipping of student possessions. Given the rapidly changing situation, these plans are taking some time. Please be patient. We will be in communication with all students who were living on campus as soon as we have details to share.

Back to top

Will my personal items be moved while I am away? (Updated March 23, 2020)

At this time, most students’ personal belongings will not be moved. In the event an area is identified that needs to be freed up for other public health needs, the student/s who occupy that space will be contacted to advise of the necessary measures being put into place to move/store belongings. This has already happened in some rooms—see the “Dorm Room Packing” section below.

Back to top

I left my prescription medication behind. What should I do? (New March 15, 2020)

Please see I need a prescription refill from the Yale Health Pharmacy. Can I get this remotely? for details on refilling or renewing your prescription, which can be done very quickly.

Back to top

Dorm Room Packing

I’ve heard that some student rooms have been or are being packed up. Who is affected? (Updated April 7, 2020)

Several hundred students have had their rooms packed, or will soon. Those students have each gotten an email from either Dean Chun or Dean Lizarríbar to explain what was happening. If you did not receive such an email, your suite was not affected.

Back to top

Why did this happen? (Updated April 7, 2020)

As Yale and New Haven work to respond to the virus, the undergraduate rooms offer an opportunity to help with social distancing. Some rooms have been cleared to make space for graduate and professional students, who had been in very tight quarters. Many more are being used to house front-line responders who cannot safely go home to their families.

Back to top

Were students allowed to opt out if they didn’t want their belongings to be packed?

No. We understand that some students were unhappy, but this was a necessary step for community public health.

Back to top

Who did the packing? Where are things being stored?

We worked with Dorm Room Movers, who packed all items with care using industry best practices. The items are now being stored in a secure temperature controlled commercial warehouse in West Haven CT. Each box and unboxed item has been labelled with a bar code and inventoried, so that it can be tracked to the correct students and rooms.

You can reach Dorm Room Movers at

Back to top

My room or common room was packed. Can I get a few items sent to me?

If you requested those items on the Essential Items Survey in mid-March, they have already been retrieved and sent to you. If you did not make the request then, it is unfortunately too late; since your belongings have been packed and stored already, we can no longer retrieve specific items.

Back to top

My individual room was packed. How will I get my stuff? (Updated April 7, 2020)

You have three choices:

  • You can leave your items in storage until they can be returned to campus. At that point, you can work with Dorm Room Movers to schedule their delivery to your new rooms.
  • You can have your items shipped to you via UPS, at no cost to you. Some items that cannot be boxed, such as furniture, may not be able to be shipped; those will be returned to campus as above.
  • You can work directly with Dorm Room Movers to coordinate a pick-up from the storage space in West Haven.

You can choose any of these options, at no cost to you or your suitemates. You should soon have information directly from Dorm Room Movers, which will enable you to log into your account, see the inventory of your boxed and unboxed items, and coordinate shipping or pick-up if you wish.

Back to top

My bedroom was a shared double. How can my roommate and I retrieve our items? (New April 7, 2020)

We tried to avoid packing doubles, but could not do so altogether. There was no time to communicate with students to distinguish among their possessions, so items in doubles were all packed together. Unfortunately, they cannot be separated at this point.

You will need to work with your roommate to decide how to proceed.

  • You can leave your items in storage until they can be returned to campus. At that point, we will find an appropriate location for you and your suitemates to receive them together.
  • If you both agree, the items can be picked up by or shipped to one of you. The person who will be getting the items should write to with a cc to the roommate; the office of student affairs can then arrange to give you access to the Dorm Room Movers account for those common belongings.

You can choose either of these options, at no cost to you.

Back to top

Our common room was packed. How can we retrieve those items? (Updated April 7, 2020)

Given the urgency of the situation, common room items were packed together. They cannot be separated at this point. 

You will need to work with your suitemates to decide how to proceed.

  • You can leave your items in storage until they can be returned to campus. At that point, we will find an appropriate location for you and your suitemates to receive them together.
  • If all members of the suite agree, the items can be picked up by or shipped to one of you. Talk to your suitemates if this is what you want to do. Once you have settled on a plan, the person who will be getting the items should write to with a cc to the whole suite; the office of student affairs can then arrange to give you access to the Dorm Room Movers account for those common belongings.

Back to top

What happened to items in our bathroom? (New April 7, 2020)

If you had a single with an individual bathroom, those items were packed with your bedroom stuff. For most students, the bathroom items were packed with the common room items. Open items (shampoo, soap, etc.) had to be discarded.

Back to top

What do I do if I discover damaged or missing items when I unpack my boxes?

Any issues should be reported to the Dorm Room Movers' customer service team at within 10 days of receipt of your items. All student items are insured.

Back to top

Students Living Off-Campus

I live off-campus. Can I stay there, or do I need to go home too? (Updated March 18, 2020)

You have the option to remain in your off-campus housing, but we recommend that you go home if that is possible. Off-campus social life also poses a risk of contagion. In addition, almost all campus events will be postponed or moved online.
If you have not already done so, please fill out the Off-Campus Student Survey to let the YCDO know whether or not you are still here.

Back to top

When should I move out of my off-campus housing, if I am going to do so? (Updated March 18, 2020)

This will depend on your lease and on your own personal circumstances. But do not expect to be able to engage in work or other activities on campus during the remote learning period.

Back to top

I have left campus, but I still have a lease. Can Yale help me get out of it? (New March 25, 2020)

Your lease is a private contract between you and your landlord. You may possibly be able to renegotiate the terms, under these circumstances, but this isn’t an area where Yale can help.

Back to top

My friend who lives on-campus just received a credit for housing. Will Yale provide me with additional assistance with my rent during the rest of the semester? (New March 25, 2020)

No. If you received financial aid for the spring semester, your estimated housing cost was already factored into your financial aid and awarded to you at the start of the spring semester. This support is intended to cover the entire semester. We are not able to provide any additional assistance with off-campus rent or housing contracts.

Back to top

Other Issues Connected to Having Left Campus

How do I forward my mail? (New March 18, 2020)

You will need to fill out a mail forwarding form available on the USPS website.

Back to top

I have library materials, including interlibrary loan and BorrowDirect materials, that I may not be able to return on time. What should I do? (New March 14, 2020)

The library will be waiving all fines for these items. Renew items through the GetIt@Yale page (login required) or email Please do not mail back materials at this time.

Back to top

I have rented textbooks from the Yale Bookstore that I may not be able to return on time. What should I do? (New March 14, 2020)

The Yale Bookstore will extend the required check in dates for the current semester. You will receive more detailed communications directly from them in the coming days.

Back to top


Is Yale Health still open? Can I continue with my care there? (New March 29, 2020)

Yale Health is open. Preventive and some elective visits have been postponed for the time being. However, we continue to provide appointments for those who need them. While some patients may be seen at the 55 Lock Street facility, many appointments have been converted to telephone visits, and we schedule these as an alternative to in-person encounters when possible. Please call Student Health if you would like to schedule an appointment, so that we can determine whether an in-person encounter or telephone visit is most appropriate. Do not hesitate to tell us if you need a visit.

Back to top

Can I use my Yale Health insurance remotely? (Updated April 1, 2020)

Yes, if you have Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Care coverage you can use it as explained below.

  • Urgent and emergency care, as defined in the Student Handbook and including COVID-19 care, continues to be covered worldwide.
  • Yale Health is temporarily expanding coverage for visits with non-Yale Health providers for non-emergent, medically necessary care. This provision would include coverage for medically necessary care for newly acquired medical conditions, as well as for chronic conditions and prenatal and labor and delivery care. Prior to booking an appointment, you must:
    1. Contact Student Health at 203-432-0312 for guidance regarding whether the care you are requesting falls under the expansion of coverage. If possible, have the name of the outside provider, facility address, phone and fax number on hand.
    2. Wait for approval from our Referrals Department before booking an appointment.
      • Coverage is not guaranteed, based on the terms of your Yale Health Plan contract as well as determination of medical necessity and time sensitivity.
      • Final decision about coverage is made after the visit when we have documentation from your healthcare provider.
      • Do not assume that any visits/studies/equipment prescribed by your outside provider are subsequently covered. You must call Student Health to discuss these recommendations and allow us to determine whether they are medically necessary and time sensitive.
  • Preventative and elective visits with non-Yale Health providers are not covered. If you are unclear as to how preventative or elective is defined, or feel such care is medically necessary and cannot be postponed, call Student Health.
  • International students, please contact Student Health with any questions.
  • For fuller information, please refer to the "COVID-19 Health Care for Students Away From Campus" announcement, which you can find on the Yale Health Student Coverage page

Back to top

If I already had an appointment, study, or procedure set up at Yale Health, can I assume it will be covered if I book a similar appointment remotely? (New March 29, 2020)

No. Many appointments, studies and procedures may be appropriate to defer, so you must contact Student Health at 203-432-0312 to determine whether you should seek follow-up care away from Yale.

Back to top

I have other insurance. Can I use this instead of my Yale Health Insurance? (New March 29, 2020)

  • In all cases, you should give providers all of your insurance coverage information to allow determination of which plan is primary.
  • If Yale Health is your primary insurance, we will make the first determination about coverage.
  • If Yale Health is primary but we deny coverage for a given service, you can explore coverage through your other insurance.

Back to top

Why don’t you talk to my parents about my care? (New March 29, 2020)

Two federal laws govern privacy of student health information. The Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and The Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulate communication of private health information to ensure your privacy. You can designate another person to receive your protected health information or to ask questions on your behalf, but you must give written permission, with a Designation of Patient Spokesperson form (PDF). For more information, call Yale’s Health Information Management Department at 203-432-0062.

Back to top

Can I still access Mental Health and Counseling Services? (New March 29, 2020)

  • If you are currently receiving care from Yale Health Mental Health and Counseling, please contact your clinician at 203-432-0290 to develop a plan for care while you are away from campus.
  • If you are not receiving care from a clinician at Yale Health Mental Health and Counseling, please contact Mental Health and Counseling at 203-432-0290 for advice and options.

Back to top

How can I obtain my Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Care Coverage member ID card? (New March 29, 2020)

Yale Health offers a self-service option for getting a copy of your member ID card.

Back to top

What about my medications if I have Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Care Coverage? (Updated March 29, 2020)

  • To ensure an adequate supply of medication, the Yale Health Pharmacy will authorize early medication refills for most maintenance medications (excluding controlled substances). If you have less than 50 days of your medication on hand, call the Pharmacy at 203-432-0033.
  • We recommend using Magellan Rx Home for mail delivery of your maintenance medications. Magellan will apply your benefit automatically so there will be no need for a claim form. You will pay only your copayment for your prescription.
  • To avoid unnecessary trips to the Yale Health facility, we will temporarily modify our reimbursement practices for use of non-Yale Health pharmacies. From now through July 31, 2020, you can fill your prescriptions at any pharmacy, pay for them at the time of service, and then complete a claim form (PDF) to receive reimbursement for the cost of the medication less your regular copayment.

Back to top


Can I travel on a Yale-related trip? (Updated March 14, 2020)

No. On March 11th we made changes to our previously announced travel restrictions. University-sponsored Yale College travel is now prohibited domestically and internationally. These restrictions apply until further notice.

Back to top

What about personal travel? (Updated March 14, 2020)

For personal international travel, we urge you to reconsider your travel choices and avoid traveling if possible. For personal domestic travel, please consider your decisions carefully. You should assess the situation in your location and heed instructions from government authorities. Avoid traveling if your agenda includes participation in conferences or other large gatherings. Yale College students who are traveling should go home at the end of their trips; they should not return to campus.

Back to top

My personal travel is essential. What precautions should I take? (Updated March 14, 2020)

If you must travel, review the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) travel notices and Yale Health guidance. Most importantly, if you are traveling to any country or region on the CDC Warning Level 3 list, complete this registration form and self-monitor and self-isolate for 14 days after you return using these guidelines.

Back to top

I’m currently traveling. Should I leave? (Updated March 14, 2020)

This will depend where you are, given the rapidly evolving global and national situation. Review the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) travel notices and Yale Health guidance. As mentioned above, if you are currently in any country or region on the CDC warning Level 3 list, complete this registration form and self-monitor and self-isolate for 14 days after you return using these guidelines. In light of travel restrictions from Europe, if European students have questions, they should contact the Office of International Students and Scholars. Yale College students who are traveling should return home, and not to campus, at the end of their trip.

Back to top

What is University sponsored travel? (Updated March 14, 2020)

Travel is considered university-sponsored if it draws on a university-administered funding source. Besides activities related to academic endeavors, research, or other professional activities, it includes study abroad, student organization travel, internships, athletics trips or other similar trips.

Back to top

I am an international student. How should I handle visas and other issues? (New March 18, 2020)

For questions pertaining to VISAs and other international student related questions, please visit the OISS website.

Back to top

I was expecting to use summer funding/fellowship sponsored by Yale. Will that be cancelled? (New March 18, 2020)

It is too soon to predict what will happen this summer. The Fellowships Office and other grant administrators are actively assessing the situation and will be in communication with you as soon as they have information to share. It is advisable, however, to have a fully-developed Plan B in place for the summer in case you are unable to use your fellowship. Fellowships advisers are available for online advising for the rest of the semester and during the summer – feel free to book an appointment with them or email

Back to top

Finances for Students

How can I sustain my income if I cannot be on campus to work at my campus job? (Updated March 20, 2020)

We are committed to helping students maintain their student job income. You should be in communication with your supervisor about how this will happen. Many work study jobs can be performed remotely. For those jobs that cannot be performed remotely, we are instructing supervisors to pay students in line with their hours across the term before spring break.

Back to top

Will there be help for low income students who cannot afford travel expenses to return home?

Support will be provided for all students on financial aid. Please contact your Head of College Office. Reimbursement is available for students on financial aid who have already booked their own travel to return home based on University Covid-19 guidance.

Back to top

I lived on campus and/or had a dining plan. Will I get a refund, now that I’ve left campus? (Updated March 27, 2020)

Yes, we have applied a credit to your student account for unused portions of room and meal plans. You may view your student account via YalePay. If you have a credit on your student account, you may set up direct deposit and request a refund through your SIS portal. If you are on financial aid and have any questions, please contact the Undergraduate Financial Aid Office.

Back to top

What if I already bought a ticket to return to campus at the end of Spring Break? (Updated March 19, 2020)

Students should contact the airline and request a full reimbursement. If a full reimbursement cannot be given, request a credit that then can be used for the next trip to campus. Students on financial aid who are unable to secure a reimbursement or credit may request one through SafetyNet with appropriate receipts and documentation.

Back to top

I have financial concerns about the technology necessary for online learning. Where should I turn? (New March 20, 2020)

Visit the Financial Resources for Technology page for information on free and subsidized internet options, computing equipment, and software.

Back to top

Academic Support

Where can I get more information about remote learning? (Updated March 27, 2020)

The Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning has created an Academic Continuity site with extensive resources for online learning. It’s worth exploring the whole site.

Back to top

I need assistance with technology. What should I do? (Updated March 27, 2020)

Please visit the Self-Help and Support and How-To Guides pages of the Academic Continuity site, which links out to instructions and trouble-shooting guides issues for Canvas, Zoom, VPN, and other now-essential online tools. You can also find information on IT’s Student Technology Help page.

Back to top

What should I do regarding online classes if I do not have an internet connection where I am? (Updated March 27, 2020)

We are in discussion with instructors to accommodate participation by phone or to find ways to ensure credit for off-line participation for those students in areas without internet access. If the obstacles are financial, please see “I have financial concerns about the technology necessary for online learning. Where should I turn?”

Back to top

I’m having trouble focusing on my work. What should I do? (New March 27, 2020)

First, know that Dean Chun has put many academic accommodations into place; there is a whole section of these FAQs devoted to that. In addition, you should look at the Suggestions for Effective Remote Learning on the Academic Continuity site, which offers a range of strategies for adapting to remote work in this challenging time.

Back to top

Are tutors and academic strategies mentors still available? (New March 27, 2020)

Yes, and now is a great time to make use of these resources! You can find full details on the Undergraduate Tutoring and Academic Strategies page of the Academic Continuity site.

Back to top

Who can help me access textbooks and other course materials? (New March 27, 2020)

The Yale Library has been working closely with publishers to make a great deal of information available online. The Academic Continuity site’s page on Library Resources can help you identify and access those materials, including many textbooks temporarily available for free online.

Back to top

I am in a course supported by Undergraduate Learning Assistants. Will they still be available? (Updated March 27, 2020)

Most ULAs are able to work remotely. Consult with your instructor if you have not already gotten clarification for your course.

Back to top

Can I still get support from my head or dean? (Updated March 27, 2020)

Yes. The heads and deans, along with the rest of the residential college staff, are all working remotely. Email them for an appointment.

Back to top

Will course-based tutoring continue to be available?

Yes, unless you hear otherwise from your instructor.

Back to top

What do I do if I have a lab class that no longer meets in the lab? (Updated March 27, 2020)

We have been working closely with faculty members who oversee lab classes to devise alternative ways for students to complete the requirements remotely. We recognize that this may not be possible in some cases, and faculty are working on alternative arrangements. Please check with your instructor.

Back to top

If I am pursuing a dual degree (B.A./M.A. or B.S./M.S), will I be permitted to continue any required research?

These questions should be directed to your instructors and the professional school in which you are receiving your Master’s degree.

Back to top

What if I have a disability that affords me extra time or support during this period of courses being moved online? (Updated March 27, 2020)

Visit the Student Accessibility Services site for their guidance and support in continuing accommodations under these new circumstances.

Back to top

What if I am studying abroad?

Please consult the Yale Study Abroad COVID-19 site for detailed information.

Back to top

I have relocated to a very different time zone. Will I have to attend class in the middle of the night? (Updated March 18, 2020)

To avoid creating new conflicts, we need to honor the existing spring term schedule in Eastern Daylight Time. However, we understand that this will be a challenge for students in different time zones, so the faculty are discussing different ways to accommodate these difficulties. Some courses will be able to work around time zone differences – for example, by recording lectures and allowing you to watch them later (what people refer to as “asynchronous” learning).

Back to top

Academic Matters

What kind of academic accommodations may I receive in Spring 2020 for Credit/D/Fail grading and course withdrawals? (Updated April 15, 2020)

For this term only, the following accommodations have been put into place in response to the COVID-19 global pandemic that has caused unprecedented disruptions.

Universal Pass/Fail (Updated April 15, 2020)

  • For the spring term of 2020, Yale College will adopt a policy of universal Pass/Fail. This applies to all courses, including graduate and professional school classes. Transcripts will carry an explanatory note.
  • Instructors have the option to provide narrative commendations. In these cases, the student will receive an email notification with a prompt to log in to SIS to view the commendation.
  • Letter grades assigned for first-half courses will remain on the transcript.
  • Two term senior essays will be graded as follows:
    1. If you already received a letter grade for the first term of your senior essay, that grade will remain on your transcript.
    2. If you received a grade of SAT or NSAT for the first term of your senior essay, you would ordinarily get the same grade—in this case, either Pass or Fail—for both halves of the course. Given the circumstances, this year instructors have the option to report a letter grade for the fall term, should they feel this is appropriate, and then either Pass or Fail for the spring term.
  • If you have already completed sufficient work in a course to earn a Pass, you may be allowed to do so even if you cannot take the course to completion. You will need the permission of your instructor and the DUS. If you wish to consider this option, please consult directly with your instructor.

Course Withdrawals—and their consequences (Updated April 1, 2020)

  • The deadline for course withdrawals without a W has been extended from the midterm deadline to 5:00 p.m. on May 6, 2020, the last day of finals. If you need a W to maintain full-time enrollment, which is required of all students, this will be accommodated; please communicate this to your residential college dean. (Full-time enrollment in Yale College for Spring 2020 is minimally two course credits that carry a mark of Pass or Fail, and one course credit with a W.)
  • If you withdrew from a course earlier this term but now want to reverse that withdrawal, you may be able to do so.
    • Begin by communicating with your instructor. Find out your current standing in the course, what you have missed, and whether or not it will be possible for you to make up that missed work.
    • Then, if you still wish to re-add the course, inform your residential college dean, who will guide you through the necessary steps. (Note: if you withdrew before March 2, the instructor may decide it is no longer possible for you to be successful in the course, and may therefore decline to re-add you.)
  • If you are a senior with a course credit deficiency resulting from a post-midterm course withdrawal, we will attempt to bring your credit total to the needed 36. If you have acceleration credits, we will activate them. Similarly, if you have eligible outside course credits, even if they exceed the usual limits, we will activate them if that is necessary to reach 36 credits. [Note: If the outside credits are needed for major requirements, the DUS will have to agree to this exception.] 
  • If you have a course credit deficiency resulting from a post-midterm course withdrawal but are not a senior, you will be promoted to the next year’s standing despite the deficit as long as you are otherwise in good standing.
  • If you are not a senior and decide to withdraw from a language course that would have completed your Language Requirement (LR), and if that course is not offered in the fall, you may take either of two accommodations:
    • In the fall term, you may meet your LR by completing a course credit in a third language—neither English nor that of the course they dropped—at any level for which you qualify. For example, instead of L1 + L2 + L3 French, you might take L1 + L2 French + Lx Spanish.


    • In the fall term, you may meet your LR by completing a course credit in a culture course in the relevant language. For example, you might take L1 + L2 French + “France since 1871” (conducted in English).

Grading for courses taken in the Graduate and Professional schools at Yale (Updated April 1, 2020)

  • If you are a candidate for the Simultaneous Award of the Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees, courses taken under the Yale College Pass/Fail scale will be counted toward your bachelor’s and master’s degree requirements.

Academic Honors (Updated March 29, 2020)

This term will not be factored into the calculation of general honors, distinction in the major, or other awards. For graduating seniors, Dean Chun has asked the faculty to use other criteria to recognize you based on your achievements in prior semesters or up to spring break this semester.

Back to top

How will dean’s excuses be handled? (Updated April 16, 2020)

While the deans will continue in their usual role of providing counsel and support to our students on a wide range of matters, if you need to postpone your work, please start by asking your instructor for such accommodations. The faculty is prepared to issue extensions, not only for students infected by the virus but also due to concerns arising from the medical circumstances of family members. If, however, you face difficulty completing your work by the end of final exam period (May 6), be sure to contact your residential college dean who alone has the authority to grant an extension beyond this date.

Back to top

Whom do I contact for administrative transactions of an academic nature?

During the period that Yale College course instruction is being handled remotely, the Academic Affairs office and the offices of the residential college deans will do the same with respect to administrative transactions of an academic nature: course withdrawals, applications for a leave of absence, matters related to second half of the spring term courses, etc. An email to the office of the residential college dean, sent via the student’s Yale Net ID account, will be considered an “official” and thus binding request or notification.

Back to top

What is the status on promotion hold?

As always, the cancellation of any summer program, in any circumstances, upon which a Yale College student was dependent for promotion or other milestone completion will be grounds for an exception approved by the dean of Academic Affairs on behalf of CHAS. In the same vein, if a student after the completion of this term has a course-credit deficiency that is the result of Yale College’s cancellation of a course, that situation will be grounds for an exception approved by the dean of Academic Affairs on behalf of CHAS.

Back to top

Reinstatement (Updated April 30, 2020)

The Committee on Reinstatement will accept online courses offered in summer 2020 for the purposes of applying for reinstatement to Yale College for the fall 2020 term and the spring 2021 term. Online courses taken outside of Yale must be offered by an accredited, four-year, B.A.-granting college or university and must include regular, synchronous interaction with the instructor, as well as regular feedback.

Furthermore, outside, non-Yale Summer Session online courses will not be accepted onto the Yale College transcript if a comparable course is offered this summer through Yale Summer Session (however, such course work may satisfy the reinstatement course work requirement alone).

Students are urged to submit information or questions about their reinstatement course work to prior to enrolling and in order to obtain clearance.

Back to top


Will dining halls be open and when? (Updated March 25, 2020)

To support students who remain on campus during limited operations, Yale Hospitality is offering a Smart Meals dining program for undergraduate students. Smart Meals features healthy, “to-go” meals, prepared in a safe environment. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner options are available at Trumbull College Dining Hall seven days a week. View hours and additional information on the Yale Hospitality website.

To access the Trumbull College dining hall, please use the main gate closest to York Street and walk through the double doors on the right to enter the dining hall. Please enter and exit the dining hall through the front entrance only. Unless there is an actual emergency, do not use the emergency exit door at the rear of the dining hall. Thank you for your cooperation.

Back to top

What precautions have been taken in the dining halls? (Updated March 25, 2020)

Yale Hospitality continues to uphold rigorous service procedures to proactively implement enhanced cleaning, disinfecting and safety procedures in all of our dining halls, residential common spaces, and cafés. Our staff receive daily reminders and training about the steps they must take to prevent the spread of the virus. Please practice social distancing measures for your safety and others. We encourage you to refrain from visiting Trumbull Dining Hall if you are sick (contact Yale Health Services). Please review the COVID-19 website and CDC for further information.

Back to top

How will dietary restrictions be addressed? (Updated March 25, 2020)

The Smart Meals dining program will offer a variety of options, and we will continue to respond to and address dietary needs on an individual basis. Please contact to address your specific needs.

Back to top

Will the food in the dining halls be portable? (Updated March 25, 2020)

Yes, Smart Meals will offer portable dining service. Food will be served in pre-packaged, take-out containers to encourage social distancing measures for the safety of our community. We are avoiding reusable containers to avoid cross-contamination.

Back to top

Who should I contact if I have additional dining questions?

We are here for you! If you have additional questions, please email

Back to top

Summer Plans

Can I still receive summer funding through Yale’s Office of Career Strategy (OCS), including the Domestic Summer Award?

Summer funding managed by the Office of Career Strategy (OCS) will still be distributed to students for Summer 2020. This includes the Domestic Summer Award, Paul Block Journalism Internships, Buckley Media & Public Policy Internships, Los Angeles Arts Internships, Yale Alumni Community Service Fellowship, and the Yawkey Community Service Fellowship.

In light of the ongoing COVID-19 situation, only in summer 2020, OCS funding recipients may work remotely if their employer agrees. See the OCS Remote Work Guidelines for more details. International students must contact OISS to discuss any required work authorization.

Back to top

To what degree may I participate in campus activities, including research and employment, during the first phase of research reactivation? (New May 21, 2020)

During research reactivation phase 1 (Highly Restricted Access), undergraduates may not participate in in-person, on-campus activities. For example, undergraduates may not work in offices, laboratories, libraries, or museums on campus. Undergraduates may not conduct university-sponsored field research. They may work for faculty members and university departments, but must conduct this work remotely. No undergraduate classes or orientation activities will be held in person during phase 1.

Back to top

Additional FAQs

What will happen with large events like Spring Fling? (Updated March 14, 2020)

Some events may be moved online, but large events will be cancelled.

Back to top

What will happen with Commencement? (Updated March 25, 2020)

Unfortunately, the spread of COVID-19 and the public health precautions put in place to attempt to blunt its effect will keep us from gathering together on campus for commencement. Although we cannot be together in May, we will find other meaningful ways to mark your accomplishments then and will explore how we can celebrate together at a future date. Secretary and Vice-President of Student Life Kimberly Goff-Crews is convening a planning committee that includes students to ensure their preferences and perspectives are represented in future celebrations, including any in-person gatherings. For ongoing updates, visit the Yale Commencement website.

Back to top

Returning to Campus (Added September 2, 2020)

I missed the deadline for responding to the survey about my plans for the fall. What I do now? (New July 22, 2020)

If you are a first-year student and did not respond before the deadline, your status has been set to "enrolled in residence." If you are a sophomore, junior, or senior and did not respond before the deadline, your status has been set to "enrolled remotely." You will be able to confirm or change this status before the start of the term; in the coming weeks, the registrar's office will write to all students asking them to review their status for the fall of 2020.

If you are a returning student and wish to live on campus -- whether or not you secured housing through last spring's room draws -- write to, use "Housing Request" in the subject line, and in your message indicate your class year and residential college. You will be added to a wait list for housing and will receive notification in early August.

Back to top

I do not belong to a class that’s permitted to return to campus for in-residence education. But I have an extenuating circumstance and would like permission to live on campus. What should I do? (Updated July 14, 2020)

Sophomores whose living situations make it impossible for them to stay home may apply for exceptional permission to live on campus in the fall semester, and first-year students whose living situations make it impossible for them to return home may apply for exceptional permission to live on campus in the spring semester. We will allocate some rooms for students whose home environment does not support remote learning. Each petition will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis based on emancipation or homelessness, technology problems that cannot be remedied, students coming from abroad -- except from Canada -- immigration status, disabilities, or other personal reasons.

Submit a request for permission to live on campus. The deadline is July 20.

First-year students who are international citizens coming from abroad (including all international locations except Canada) and who arrive by mid-term (October 14) will be permitted to stay in residence for the whole academic year.

Back to top

I contracted to live in a room/suite with my group of friends. Can I expect the same housing arrangement?

No. In order to decrease housing density, many housing assignments for returning students will be modified so that each student will be living in a single bedroom, and juniors will be housed in both the residential colleges and on the Old Campus. While every effort will be made to make sure students who contracted to live together will continue to live close to each other, we cannot guarantee specific configurations. More information about campus housing and how to reapply for it will be available before July 20.

Back to top

How will housing assignments be modified to put everyone in single bedrooms?

The answer varies by class year.

Most seniors are already in singles, so most of their room assignments can be preserved, except in rare cases when a room may need to be reassigned for public health reasons. Seniors who were in doubles will be reassigned to rooms within their colleges, either on their own or in a suite with the person who would have been their roommate.

First-years will be assigned to suites within their colleges; Old Campus does not have enough bedrooms to accommodate them in single bedrooms.

Juniors, who often live in doubles, will be most affected. Every effort will be made to keep existing suite groups intact by reassigning those students into multiple suites on the same floor or entryway. Juniors will still live with some or all of their originally chosen suitemates.  If it becomes necessary for you to share a suite with someone not in your original housing assignment, we will consult with you before finalizing the new arrangement. Given the need to spread students out, some juniors will remain in the residential colleges while others will be assigned to Old Campus.

When housing reassignments are announced in early August, students will have the option to decline them without incurring a fee.

Back to top

Where are my belongings? (New August 28, 2020)

If you have moved into your room and your belongings are not in it, please write to Conferences and Events at and use "Student Move Out Project" in the subject line.

Back to top

When may I return to New Haven?

First-year students, juniors, and seniors may return to New Haven in late August. Sophomores may return to New Haven in the spring semester (most likely beginning January 2021).

Juniors and seniors may remain in residence throughout the academic year, except for a quiet period from November 21, 2020, to January 2021, when students are expected to return home if possible.

Because of the need to reduce housing density, juniors and seniors who wish to live on campus needed to confirm by July 20 their intention to live on campus so that housing can be reassigned, if necessary, in order to accommodate social distancing. Most seniors' and some juniors' housing will not be changed, but by early August juniors and seniors living on campus will receive housing assignments, whether changed or unchanged. By then, they will also receive information about how to accept them -- or relinquish them without financial penalty -- and how to schedule a day and time to move into their rooms starting the week of August 24, following a schedule that accommodates social distancing.

You will be contacted by your residential college dean’s office about the specific date and time of your move-in, and you will need to sign up for a viral test on the day you arrive. For most students, you will have to quarantine in your room until the results of your initial test are available, which should be within 24-36 hours. There will be some flexibility with arrival dates for students arriving from overseas or from states subject to quarantine. Students living on campus coming from overseas or from certain states with a high prevalence of COVID-19 may have to complete government quarantine requirements of up to 14 days after move-in and will be housed accordingly.

Undergraduates living off campus should plan to arrive in New Haven in the second half of August and sign up for a viral test within two days of their planned arrival date. Like on-campus students, they will participate in required weekly viral testing and may be subject to self-quarantine in their off-campus apartments for up to 14 days, depending on government requirements.

Back to top

If I belong to one of the following categories of students, may I get tested regularly and have access to campus? (New July 14, 2020)

  • Sophomore in the fall term
  • First-year in the spring term
  • Any class year that is enrolled remotely
  • On leave of absence

No. These categories of students will not have access to campus and are strongly discouraged from coming to New Haven and interacting with the campus community. The planning for public safety depends on reducing the density of students on campus and around New Haven. Capacity for viral testing allows for students enrolled in residence. Capacity does not allow for students in other categories.

Back to top

What if I decide that studying from home is the best option for me?

You may elect to study from home. You will be charged full tuition but will not be charged room and board and will receive financial aid based on the cost of attendance for remote learners. If you are studying from home, you may continue to work remotely on research projects and other activities. In order to reduce travel and density on campus, you will not be permitted entry to buildings on campus.

Back to top

What if I decide to take a leave of absence or postpone my matriculation? (Updated July 14, 2020)

If you are sophomore, junior, or senior, you may declare a leave of absence for one or two terms, just as you would in any other semester. Leaves in 2020-2021 will not count toward the usual two-term limit on leaves. The last day to request a leave is September 14, 2020.

If you are a first-year student, you may not take a leave of absence for this fall term but you may take a leave of absence for the spring semester, or request to postpone your matriculation until fall 2021 (i.e., take a gap year). If you are a first-year student and wish to take a gap year before enrolling, you should submit a request to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions by July 15.

Back to top

May I take a leave of absence if I was reinstated for returning to campus in the fall of 2020? (New July 30, 2020)

Yes. Students who by action of the Committee on Reinstatement are reinstated to the fall 2020 term may postpone their return until spring 2021 by requesting a leave of absence for fall 2020. No further reinstatement application will be required.

Back to top

How do I request a leave of absence? (Updated July 9, 2020)

Click here to request a leave of absence. [If you have trouble logging in, please contact the ITS Student Help Desk at 203-432-9000, or get ITS help here]. Your information will automatically populate into the form. You will then have the choice of requesting a leave for Fall 2020, for Spring 2021, or for both terms.

If you are in academic good standing, your request for a leave of absence will be approved.

Once you have been approved for a leave of absence for the Fall 2020 term, you may cancel it no later than 5 pm ET on the first day of classes in the term, August 31, 2020.

The deadline to request a leave of absence is 5:00pm Eastern Time, on September 14, 2020.

At the conclusion of your leave of absence, you need only return to enrollment in the following term. If you wish to contract for on-campus housing for that term, alert your dean’s office to this fact as soon as possible. Even if you do not want on-campus housing, you should still alert your dean’s office to your planned return, if only as a courtesy, even as there is no formal process to go through when you return from a leave of absence. 

[Note: If you are a first-year student entering for your first term at Yale, you are not eligible to take a leave of absence during their first term of enrollment. You may, however, request to postpone your matriculation until fall 2021 (i.e., take a gap year). If you are a first-year student and wish to take a gap year before enrolling, you should submit a request to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions by July 15. 

More information about leaves of absence is available in the Yale College Programs of Study

Back to top

I am currently outside the United States. What options do I have?

We are working hard to assist international students in getting their visas, but we recognize that many international students may be unable to return to campus in time for the August start date. You may enroll in remote classes while you arrange your travel. If you are a new student, please consult the OISS FAQ for Newly Admitted Students for updated information about visa issues and travel concerns.

Back to top

What are the plans for move-in?

Students will sign up for a specific time slot for fall semester move in during the week of August 24. This will ensure adherence to all public health guidance on social distancing. A process will be announced later this summer. 

Back to top

What are plans for storage (furniture and boxes), linens, laundry, refrigerators, etc.?

Student belongings on campus will be packed up, so that the university can clean and conduct maintenance in preparation for the fall semester.

If you are returning to live on campus for the fall term, you may leave all belongings on campus. There is no fee for this storage.  If you choose to leave your belongings, they will be moved to your new room. If you plan to live off campus, you must retrieve your items prior to the start of the fall term.

If you will not be returning to campus for the coming fall term, but plan to be here in the spring term or fall term of 2021, your belongings can be stored for you at no cost, or your shippable belongings can be sent to a U.S. address.  

If you would like to return to campus or send a proxy (e.g., another student, a friend, relative, moving company) to retrieve your belongings, please schedule an appointment as soon as possible by July 20.  The sooner you reply, the more likely your belongings can be left intact for you to pack.  

Back to top

Arrival Quarantine Information

Can my parents or guardians help me move in?

Parents and guardians may bring you to campus. However, only those who are traveling from non-restricted states will be able to come with you into your college or other campus residence. Those traveling from restricted states, even if they have tested negative for COVID-19, may not enter any campus residences, but they may still bring you to campus. Movers will be available to take your belongings from the sidewalk into your room.

Back to top

If I am coming from a non-restricted state, do I have quarantine for 14 days?

If you arrive during the move-in period, yes. However, you may arrive after the other students' 14-day quarantine period and in that case quarantine only until you receive the results of your initial viral test, 24 to 36 hours. But if you move in during the move-in period, you will have to quarantine for the full 14 days.

Back to top

May I test out of the 14-day quarantine?

No. You will need to quarantine even if you have tested negative for the COVID-19 virus, and even if you continue to test negative on the viral tests you will take twice a week.

Back to top


May I enroll in two courses that overlap, either partially or entirely, if they are taught asynchronously? (New August 14, 2020)

Yes, as a special accommodation for the fall term of 2020, and only if you request and receive permission from your residential college dean. To make this request, include both courses' names and numbers, the instructors' names, and written approval from both instructors. In addition to providing the permission of both instructors, your request must:

  • attest that any synchronous components of the courses do not overlap by more than 15 minutes;
  • explain how enrollment in the two courses is possible, despite the conflict in published meeting times (examples: one of the courses has an asynchronous option; the instructor of one of the courses is providing recorded lectures; etc.); and
  • confirm that the final exams for the two courses are not offered at the same time.

If you have questions about enrolling in overlapping courses, consult first with the instructors of the courses, and then with your residential college dean.

Back to top

Will there be a course selection period?

Yale College will adopt a pre-registration system that provides more advance planning while preserving students’ ability to explore and discover new courses:

Back to top

Will there be a mandatory Registration meeting for the fall term? Will I be fined if I miss it? (New August 14, 2020)

No to both questions. The registrar’s office and Student Financial Services will accept students’ act of pre-registration as confirmation of their intent to enroll. College deans may hold community meetings, at which some academic information may be covered, but those meetings will not be mandatory for fall 2020, and the deans will email all students a written version of any important academic reminders.

Back to top

What dates are relevant for students returning to Yale College? (Updated October 7, 2020)

July 20: The deadline to apply for campus housing. The usual fee to relinquish housing is waived for all returning students. You should indicate whether you plan to come to campus in the fall, live off campus in the New Haven area (juniors and senior only), study from home (voluntarily or because you are a sophomore), or take a leave of absence.

August 1: Term bills will be released, based on whether you will be on campus, contracted to live off campus in New Haven, or studying from home.

By early August: Housing assignments for returning students will be announced, along with instructions for how you can schedule your return to campus.

August 10-21: Early course registration period.

August 21: Course selection is due, followed by a shop, add, drop period extending through the first week of classes.

August 24: Students will be invited to campus in stages. You will be informed when you may arrive on campus.

August 31: Classes Start.

November 21: Residences close at 12 noon.

Back to top

What is my learning location, and how do I review or change it? (New January 25, 2021)

Your learning location tells the university where you will be studying this semester. In most cases, you have been assigned a learning location based on how and where you studied during the fall term. If how and where you study has changed or will change for the spring term and you need to update your learning location assignment, you may do so directly via the Learning Location Status Update form or through the Yale Hub. To request an update to this initial assignment, select a new value from the drop-down field and enter a brief reason for the change. Follow the instructions to complete the request and e-sign the form to submit. Your request will be routed to your residential college dean to review. You will receive email notification once the request has been approved or declined.

Questions regarding the learning location status may be sent to

Back to top

For distinction in the major, how will spring 2020 courses be calculated, since they were all graded under the mandatory pass/fail system? (New September 4, 2020)

Calculation of distinction in the major, for students who were required to take a grade of Pass/Fail for courses in their major in the spring term of 2020, will exclude all courses taken that semester. It will also not require that 75% of grades in the major subject or program be A or A-, as published in the YCPS; instead, it will use the formula in the table below. To use it, count how many credits you earned in your major in semesters other than the spring of 2020. Next, find the corresponding number in the left column. Finally, look at the right column, where you will find the number of whole credits with grades of A or A- needed to earn distinction.

Credit count in the Major, excluding Spring 2020 Full Credits with A/A- needed for distinction, rounded down
6 4
7 5
8 6
9 6
10 7
11 8
12 9
13 9
14 10
15 11
16 12
17 12
18 13
19 14
20 15

Back to top

How will courses be taught?

Most Yale College courses will be offered online, featuring live Zoom seminars and a mix of live and recorded lectures. The faculty and staff are working hard to provide the best possible courses online, incorporating feedback from last semester’s and this summer’s online courses.

Some discussion sections, lab courses, studio courses, and collections-based courses will be offered in person, with smaller enrollments to allow for physical distancing and observance of all other precautions under public health guidance in force at the time the programs start.

Where possible, there may be some associated in-person component for courses that take place in an otherwise online fashion.

Back to top

What is the academic calendar for spring semester? (Updated December 10, 2020)

Back to top

What fees will change? (Updated January 25, 2021)

For the spring term of 2021, the housing relinquishment fee is waived; students who relinquish housing after February 1 will only be charged a per diem room and board rate. No room or board charges apply between January 28 and February 1.

Once relinquished, housing is not available for the rest of the semester.

The spring-term student activities fee will be reduced to $25. This will not affect the budgets of student organizations.

Rebates of other undergraduate charges follow standard policy.

There will be no extra charge for testing, or for isolation or quarantine housing.

Back to top

Can I enroll part time, taking one or two classes? (Updated December 10, 2020)

A student may not enroll in a program of study worth fewer than three course credits in one term. A student enrolled for three course credits may withdraw from one course credit between midterm and the first day of the reading period, receiving the neutral designation W (Withdrew) in that course. Similarly, a student enrolled for four or more course credits may withdraw from one or more courses as described above, but at no time may any student carry a schedule of courses that will earn fewer than two course credits in a term. More information is available under Course Credits and Course Loads within the Yale College Programs of Study. Any student who fails to earn more than two course credits in a single term is placed on Academic Warning. For more information, see Academic Penalties and Restrictions in the Yale College Programs of Study.

Please note that varsity athletes, international students on an F-1 visa, and ROTC candidates may have strict minimum enrollment requirements. If you fall into one or more of these categories, and if you are considering enrolling in only three course credits in August, and later dropping to two course credits and a W after Midterm (March 30, 2021), consult with the appropriate office. (Athletics, the Office of International Students and Scholars, or your Commander) to ensure that you do not endanger your eligibility or visa status.

Back to top

How will dean's excuses be handled this spring? (Updated December 10, 2021)

The policies about dean's excuses apply as they appear in the Yale College Programs of Study. As always, the basic responsibility for permitting postponement of work during the term rests with the instructor. However, the residential college dean may give permission for a student to make up work missed or delayed during the term in the cases described in the Academic Regulation. (see YCPS, section H, “Work Missed During the Term”) Students with questions about whether they qualify for a dean’s excuse (or think that they might need one) should communicate with their college dean.

Back to top

Can I take courses from another university during my leave of absence? (New July 9, 2020)

Yes; a student may apply as many as two course credits earned at another college or university toward the 36-course-credit requirement for graduation from Yale College; please see YCPS, section P, "Credit from Other Universities" for more information about outside credit policies. Many universities will offer courses online rather than in person during the coming academic year; under the Academic Regulations, online courses can earn Yale credit only if they include regular, synchronous interaction with the instructor, as well as regular feedback; additionally, online courses cannot be applied to distributional requirements (with a rare exception for languages not taught at Yale).

Other criteria and restrictions apply; please consult the full regulations on outside credits here.

Back to top

I was planning on studying abroad. Where can I get more information? (New July 30, 2020)

Please see the student abroad FAQ.

Back to top

What is the grading policy in Yale College?

Yale College has returned to the usual letter grade policies, with no provision for a universal pass/fail system.

Back to top

What are the policies guiding eligibility and use of the YSS COVID-19 Courses and YSS COVID-19 Housing Subsidies for summer study ("the special arrangement") that are available to first-year students and sophomores? (Updated March 3, 2021)

First-year students and sophomores who enroll for both the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters, with at least one term taken remotely, will be eligible to take two courses in Yale Summer Session (YSS) New Haven, Online, or Abroad in any summer before senior year; the special arrangement covers tuition for two courses, which do not need to be taken in the same session or year. First-year and sophomore students who successfully petitioned to live on campus for both semesters in 2020-2021 are not eligible for YSS COVID-19 Courses, which are for students required to study remotely without access to campus for one semester. If enrolling in YSS courses in New Haven, first-year students and sophomores who also receive financial aid may be eligible for additional financial support to cover on-campus room and board for one five-week session. Students who are interested in a YSS Program Abroad may apply these two courses toward the cost of tuition of two credits. Please note that admission is not guaranteed for YSS Programs Abroad and enrollment is limited. The special arrangement does not cover tuition for any courses taken outside of Yale Summer Session.

Planning for YSS 2021 has begun, and as of December 2020, the courses assume a continuation of this year's residential/remote model. According to this model, while many Yale College students will be in New Haven, living in residence in conditions of reduced density, classes will primarily be offered using remote modalities. Remote delivery allows all enrolled students to participate, both those who are in residence and those who are not. Classes that cannot be conducted without an in-person component (certain lab- or studio-based courses) may be offered to include those components, with social distancing, if the public health situation permits. And if circumstances improve significantly in time, a broader array of classes and activities may be offered in person. More information will be available closer to the application deadline (May 14, 2021, for Session A, and June 18, 2021, for Session B).

For more information on eligibility and on policies guiding the scheduling of courses, see the Yale Summer Session website.

Back to top

What courses, activities, and travel opportunities are available during summer 2021? (New February 4, 2021)

For complete information, please see: 

  • Yale Summer Session (YSS) 
    • All YSS Programs Abroad are cancelled for summer 2021.  
    • YSS will offer courses following this year's residential/remote model. More information about summer 2021 course offerings and the YSS COVID-19 Courses and COVID-19 Housing Subsidy can be found on the YSS website. 
  • Non-Yale Summer Study Abroad 
    • Non-Yale Study Abroad applications will open February 15 and will have a deadline of April 1.  
    • Study abroad approval will be determined according to the Travel Policy
    • The International Study Award (ISA) will be available for eligible students who are approved by Yale Study Abroad for programs abroad. (Please note that students may not use the ISA for online programs.) 
    • More information about summer study abroad and the approval timeline is available on the Yale Study Abroad website. 
  • Fellowships & Funding 
    • Yale fellowships and funding may be awarded for remote or in-person activities, as per Yale College’s International Travel Policy and the provisions of the applicable award. In-person activities funded by CIPE will be limited to destinations permitted by the Travel Policy, as determined by their status on April 5, 2021.  
    • Students pursuing a structured experience such as language study or an internship are required to have the support of the affiliated program or organization. Students pursuing an independent project or research are required to have the support of a Yale faculty member.  
    • More information about fellowships and funding for Summer 2021 can be found on the Summer Fellowships FAQ page.  
  • Yale in London 
    • Both summer terms are cancelled for summer 2021.  
  • Credit from Other Universities 
  • Internships 
  • Student Organization Travel 
    • All international experiences coordinated by a campus organization or entity that will include Yale College student travelers must abide by the Travel Policy
  • Independent Travel 

Back to top

Will the museums be open for teaching and research? (Updated July 22, 2020)

Yes, the Yale University Art Gallery and Yale Center for British Art will be available by appointment. The Yale Peabody Museum’s collections are open, but its galleries are closed for renovations.

Back to top

Will the Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning be open?

The Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning will be open on a by-appointment basis and will also provide a full range of online services.

Back to top

Public Health

What happens if I do not comply with social distancing guidelines?

If a student repeatedly or flagrantly fails to comply with public health guidelines, they may be removed from campus. Please carefully review the community compact and the provisions for enforcement here.

Back to top

What are the arrangements for viral testing?

All students will be tested for the coronavirus upon arrival in New Haven. The cost of required testing for students, trainees, staff, and faculty will be covered by the university.

All students living in university housing and all undergraduates

Because of the particularly dense housing arrangements in university housing and the frequent interactions among students, all undergraduates and all graduate and professional students living in dormitory-style university housing will be required to be tested twice weekly.

Quarantine requirements

Students living abroad may be subject to a 14-day quarantine after arriving in the United States. Students living in states with high prevalence of COVID-19 may also be subject to a 14-day quarantine after arriving in Connecticut.

If you have symptoms

If you have symptoms of COVID-19 as identified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), you should stay home and avoid interactions with others. These symptoms currently include:

  • Fever or chills
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • Fatigue
  • Muscle or body aches
  • New loss of taste or smell 
  • Sore throat
  • Congestion or runny nose
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Diarrhea

Consult Yale Health’s website for recommendations about managing your symptoms and deciding whether to contact your healthcare provider.

If you have questions about COVID-19 at Yale, please call the Campus COVID Resource Line at 203-432-6604.

Back to top

How do I schedule my viral testing? (Updated January 25, 2021)

  1. Set up your MyChart account using the activation code you received from Yale Health. If you have trouble, contact Member Services.
  2. Go to
  3. Enter your Yale netid and password.
  4. Click on the scheduling link. It will take you automatically to your assigned testing location.
  5. Select a day based on your assigned testing pattern (Monday/Thursday or Tuesday/Friday). Please note that testing patterns may have changed from the fall (i.e. M/T or Tu/F), so please log into Yale Hub to check your assignment or, if necessary, to request a change in your test pattern.
  6. Select a time on your assigned scheduling day.
  7. Confirm your appointment.
  8. It's a good idea to schedule both weekly appointments now. To do that, go back to

Back to top

Is testing available to me if I am enrolled remotely or on leave but living in New Haven county? (New October 1, 2020)

Yes. If you would like to participate in free, voluntary testing for COVID-19, it is available to you this semester by appointment. Weekly testing is recommended. Although getting tested will not grant you access to campus, it helps protect your health and the community’s, especially when you also follow protocols for isolation, contact tracing, and quarantine. If you test positive, the Yale Health team will provide basic follow-up support, tell you how to isolate, and help you identify others who may be at risk.

To schedule tests:

  1. Set up your MyChart account using the activation code you received from Yale Health. If you have trouble, contact Member Services.
  2. Go to
  3. Enter your Yale netid and password.
  4. Click on the scheduling link.
  5. Select a date and time.
  6. Confirm your appointment.

Back to top

I have received my first of two vaccine doses in my home state. May I get my second one at Yale? (New January 25, 2021)

No. Each state is managing its own supply of vaccine and second doses are allocated at the time the first dose is administered. Yale Health recommends that you receive the second dose in your home state. To request a late arrival, write to; to apply for special permission to travel home for your second dose, fill out the emergency travel request form.

Back to top

What if I got my flu shot outside of Yale Health?

From within MyChart, click on “Ask a Question” under the Messaging icon. Select “Message your Provider,” choose a recipient, and set the subject to “Test Results Question.” In the body of the message, write “Flu shot documentation,” then select “Attach an Image” and upload your documentation; be sure to have your name and the date of the shot in the image. If you are unable to do this, send the image to and include your legal name and birthdate.

Back to top

What is Yale doing to reduce the risk of infection spreading among students, faculty, staff, and community members?

Yale began reactivation of on-campus research on June 1. Following guidelines from the State of Connecticut and the expert advice of Yale faculty in medicine, nursing, and public health, the university has developed phased Returning to Yale plans that include testing, contact tracing, self-isolation and quarantine, daily health checks, social distancing and face coverings. We are also reducing housing density in Yale College and some dormitory-style graduate residences. The university is following a careful, phased approach to resuming operations on campus, taking into consideration public health guidance, the needs of vulnerable populations, and the mission of the university.

Faculty at Yale and at the Yale New Haven Hospital have been active in treating COVID-19 and researching the biology and the transmission of the underlying coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2. Although Connecticut was originally one of the hardest-hit states, the rate of transmission (Rt) in the state as of July 1 is below 1, and as a result the number of new cases has fallen consistently since late April.

Back to top

What public health guidelines am I required to follow?

All students, trainees, faculty, and staff will be required to follow public health requirements in place at the time in-person activity resumes. Although the health risks to young people are in general less severe, it is essential that students comply with social distancing, face coverings, testing, contact tracing, self-isolation, quarantine, and other protocols not only for their own sake but also in order to reduce the risk of spreading the coronavirus to other community members including those in more vulnerable populations. Current public health guidance includes:

  • All members of the university community will be expected to wear face coverings except when in their residential suites, or alone in their offices or when eating, or exercising outdoors.
  • The university will supply face coverings and other necessary supplies to all students, trainees, faculty, and staff.
  • All university community members must observe social distancing requirements.
  • All individuals living, working, or studying on campus will be asked to monitor their health daily for symptoms suggestive of COVID-19.
  • Students must undergo viral testing according to the requirements in place for the Yale school in which they are enrolled and must follow any resultant isolation and quarantine requirements.
  • All university community members will share responsibility for regular hand-washing, surface cleaning, and other required hygiene.
  • All faculty, staff, students, and trainees will follow the detailed guidelines outlined below.

Back to top

Who are the Public Health Coordinators? (New September 10, 2020)

Public Health Coordinators (PHCs) are graduate and professional students living in the residential colleges to help support community wellness during the COVID-19 pandemic. The PHCs will be drawing on their own professional experiences, as well as in-depth training for this role. Many have a background in pastoral care, public health, and education, and all have an active interest in student affairs and community engagement. Learn more about the PHCs.

Back to top

How can I tell someone about behavior that puts the community at risk? (New September 10, 2020)

If you have concerns about situations or behaviors that may be putting the community at risk, you have options for how to respond. You can of course talk with the people involved; if you do, you will have the most impact if you focus on support, goals, and problem-solving. You can also turn to your PHC or Head of College. If you prefer to share your concerns in writing, you can use this form to communicate with the Office of Student Affairs.

Back to top

Where can I find the Community Compact? (New September 10, 2020)

The community compact is available on the Registrar's website.

Back to top

How will the Community Compact be enforced? (New September 10, 2020)

The Compact Review Committee (CRC) will consider repeated, serious or flagrant failures to meet the Community Compact commitments that are brought to its attention or any instance of noncompliance that poses a serious risk to the health and safety of the student or other community members. Find more information about the CRC.

Back to top

Must I wear a face covering?

Yes, all students, trainees, faculty, staff, and visitors must wear face coverings except when in their own residential college suite or apartment or alone in an office or when eating or exercising outdoors. Wearing a face covering is one of the most effective ways to prevent transmission of the coronavirus.

All members of the community should follow social distancing guidelines and good hygiene, including at meals.

People exercising outdoors need not wear face coverings as long as they maintain six feet distance from others. Rules for indoor exercise will follow state and public health guidelines.

Back to top

What are the requirements for social distancing?

In general, people should maintain six feet of distance from others whenever possible, including in classrooms, communal living spaces, and other campus locations. People living in the same suite or apartment will be considered a “family unit,” and it is not necessary to maintain distance from suitemates.

Back to top

What do I do if I have symptoms? (New September 10, 2020)

If you have symptoms of COVID-19 as identified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), you should stay home and avoid interactions with others. These symptoms currently include:

  • Fever or chills
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • Fatigue
  • Muscle or body aches
  • New loss of taste or smell 
  • Sore throat
  • Congestion or runny nose
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Diarrhea

Consult Yale Health’s website for recommendations about managing your symptoms and deciding whether to contact your healthcare provider.

If you have questions about COVID-19 at Yale, please call the Campus COVID Resource Line at 203-432-6604.

Back to top

What if I test positive?

Those who test positive will generally be required to self-isolate for 14 days. If you test positive before traveling, please wait 14 days before traveling to Yale.

Back to top

How will the university trace contacts of those who test positive?

The university has trained contact tracers who will identify close contacts and ask them to quarantine for 14 days. Testing will be recommended for all sustained contacts of anyone who tests positive.

Back to top

When will I be expected to isolate or quarantine?

Isolation applies to those who test positive for COVID-19. Quarantine applies to those who may have been in contact with an infected person or who are traveling from an area where COVID-19 is prevalent. Students who test positive will usually isolate in designated buildings on campus or in their off-campus housing. Students who have been in close contact with someone who tests positive will quarantine in their own housing or in designated buildings on campus, depending on the results of contact tracing.

In addition, those arriving from international destinations or states with high prevalence may be required by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or the State of Connecticut to quarantine for 14 days. The State of Connecticut requires a 14 day quarantine for travelers arriving from certain other U.S. states ( see current list at

Those who are in quarantine or in isolation will be able to take their courses online or through other remote options.

Back to top

What would cause the university to change its plans?

The university will follow guidance from the State of Connecticut that requires a change to these plans. See

If the public health situation worsens considerably in the next few weeks, the return to campus will be delayed. In that case, all courses – undergraduate, graduate, and professional – will be conducted exclusively through on-line delivery until the public health situation changes.

If the public health situation worsens considerably during the fall semester, students should be prepared to “stay-in-place” in their place of residence, whether residential colleges, other on-campus residences, or off-campus apartments. For those with meal plans, the university will continue to provide meals during any stay-in-place period. Classes would be held exclusively online during such a time.

Back to top

How can I learn more about public health requirements?

The university is requiring completion of a training program by all students, trainees, faculty, and staff prior to their return to campus. Please see the “Mandatory training for everyone returning to campus” section on the Health & Safety Guidelines page.

Yale also will establish rules regarding visitors to campus, travel away from campus, and other requirements to limit transmission of the coronavirus.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also offers guidance on living in shared housing.

Back to top

What if I am at a higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19?

We recommend that students with health conditions that make them especially vulnerable to COVID-19 consider remote options for study. Yale staff should consult the “Accommodations for Staff Returning to Campus” page or contact the Employee Service Center. Faculty should refer to the first question in the Faculty and Staff section above.

See guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Back to top

I have a hearing disability and need to read lips. Face coverings and social distancing will make this impossible. What accommodations will be made?

Most classes will have an online option that does not require wearing face coverings. For students with hearing disabilities in in-person classes, their instructors and classmates will be provided with special transparent face coverings or face shields to allow lip-reading.

Back to top

Spring 2021

What class year should I specify for spring-term housing if I have taken a leave of absence?

If your class year has changed, choose the class with which you wish to live.

Back to top

I made a mistake on my request for spring-term housing. How can I correct it?

You can submit a new request with the correct information using this link. The deadline is October 23, 2020, at 11:59 p.m.  

Your original answer will be overwritten with the new information. (If you were halfway through filling out the form, you will restart where you left off; if the answer you wish to change is “behind” you, finish the form, then start over.)

Back to top

Do I need to request storage if I am already living on campus and returning in the spring?


Back to top

Arrival Quarantine Information

Can I ship items to myself during the quarantine period? (Updated August 20, 2020)

Yes. During the 14-day quarantine period for undergraduate students, packages addressed to the Student Package Receiving Center at 250 Church Street will be redelivered regularly to each of the residential colleges and Old Campus. Email notifications will be sent to each student once the packages are available for pickup. Students will receive communication from their respective colleges on pickup location and hour of operation.

Please address all UPS, DHL, USPS, Fed Ex and Amazon packages following the sample below:

Your Name
Yale University
Residential College or Dormitory Name
250 Church Street, Lower Level
New Haven, CT 06510-1714

Back to top

What restrictions apply during and after the initial quarantine?

Arrival Quarantine, Part 1: Awaiting Test Results

  • When: Arrival time plus up to 36 hours.
  • Where: Isolate in one's suite; consider socially distancing from suitemates.
  • Guests in suite (with face covering and distancing): No.
  • Food: Picked up on the way in.
  • Access to common areas (with face covering and distancing): No.
  • Off-campus students enrolled "in residence": No access to campus except for testing.

Arrival Quarantine, Part 2: Waiting 14 Days

  • When: Arrival plus 14 days.
  • Where: Restricted to residential college (or Old Campus.)
  • Guests in suite (with face covering and distancing): No.
  • Food: Dining hall to provide meals for pick-up; no seating.
  • Access to common areas (with face covering and distancing): Within the college and courtyard only.
  • Off-campus students enrolled "in residence": No access to campus except for testing.

After everyone has completed the arrival quarantine

  • When: Starting September 12.
  • Where: Free to move around campus and the city and the state.
  • Guests in suite (with face covering and distancing): One per suite resident.
  • Food: Dining hall open for serving line or pick-up; seating available.
  • Access to common areas (with face covering and distancing): Other colleges and campus buildings.
  • Off-campus students enrolled "in residence": Access to colleges and campus buildings.

Back to top

Intercession - November 21 until the start of the Spring 2021 Semester (New November 20, 2020)

What access to campus will be permitted after November 21?

Campus buildings are closed to all undergraduates between November 22 and the start of the spring semester, even to continue in-person employment or research; remote employment and research permitted, however. Students who have received special permission to remain on campus have access only to their building's residences and the corresponding courtyards.

Back to top

May I do on-campus research at any time during the quiet period or the winter recess?

No one may do on-campus research during the quiet period. During the winter recess, starting January 4th, seniors who cannot complete their senior projects without access to campus facilities may petition for on-campus housing and campus access. The process for applying for a research exception closed on November 9th.

Back to top

May I do research off campus during the quiet period or the winter recess, and is Yale funding available for that research?

Under some circumstances, yes. The Off-campus Research and Fieldwork Committee has published full guidelines for undergraduate off-campus research here. If, based on these guidelines, you need to apply for permission, you should work with your adviser or DUS and will find the application for research reactivation here. If you are eligible to conduct such research, you may use Yale funding awarded for that purpose toward the research.

Back to top

On-Campus Housing and Move-In (New January 25, 2021)

What requirements must I fulfill before returning to campus?

  • Get a flu shot. If you have not already received your flu vaccination, you can use Yale Health’s Find Your Flu Shot tool or arrange for your flu shot independently.
  • Sign the Spring 2021 Campus Compact, even if you signed it last semester. You can read and sign the new campus compact here. The compact describes the expectations for all enrolled students.
  • Take the updated COVID-19 training, even if you took it last semester. The training is available on Canvas.
  • Take a pre-arrival viral test. You will receive more information about that process from Yale Health by mid-January.

Back to top

Does everyone have to sign the Compact?

Yes. Just as in Fall 2020, students enrolled in residence need to sign the Compact. For Spring 2021, there is also a section of the Compact that applies to undergraduates who are remotely enrolled, so they must sign too.

Back to top

When are the move-in dates for spring 2021?

January 28 and 29 are the two dates on which all students living on campus will need to move into their assigned spring 2021 housing. Due to the complexity of arrival testing and quarantine, all students need to arrive between 8:30am and 3:30pm on one of these two days. Limited January 30 arrival times are available by special permission only; this Saturday accommodation can be requested within the portal.

Back to top

Do I need to reserve a date and time to move in?

Yes. In order to prevent crowding in entryways and courtyards, you will need to reserve a specific arrival time; you may make that reservation in the “Schedule Your Move-In” section of the housing portal. The number of students arriving during each time slot is capped. If you need to change your time slot later, please return to the housing portal and make your change there.

Back to top

May I arrive in the evening?

Yes, if necessary. There is limited capacity to house students overnight on the nights of January 27, 28, and 29 only. If your travel constraints do not allow you to arrive by 3:30pm, you may request an evening reservation through the housing portal. Once you arrive, you will need to quarantine in a temporary room until the next morning, when you can take your arrival test and begin quarantining in your spring semester room.

Back to top

May I move in early?

No. Because of quarantine limitations, all students must move in during the January 28-30 period. If you must arrive in New Haven before the evening of January 27, you will need to find alternative accommodations. If your travel is severely restricted and you must arrive early, you may apply to SafetyNet for limited aid; requests will be evaluated based on demonstrated financial need.

Back to top

What happens if I arrive late? (Updated January 14, 2021)

If you are unable to arrive before testing closes on the afternoon of January 30, you will need to request exceptional permission to arrive late; if you receive it, you will need to quarantine in separate housing, apart from your assigned spring-term housing. You will not have access to your assigned room or any belongings in it until your arrival quarantine ends. This accommodation is only available to you if you are unavoidably delayed. After January 31, you should not expect to receive permission to arrive on campus except in extraordinary circumstances; you will need to study from home or find alternative housing.

Back to top

Can my parents or anyone else help me move in?

Only arriving on-campus students may enter the residential colleges or campus residences. Parents and any other helpers may accompany you to the college or residence gate, but they may not enter with you.

Back to top

How do I view or relinquish my spring on-campus housing?

The housing portal enables you to view your room assignment, along with the names of suitemates if you are living in a suite. You can also submit questions or requests, which will be reviewed in mid-January.

If you no longer wish to live on campus, you can decline your housing through this same portal. Please do so even if you have previously informed your college; that way, your term bill will be updated more quickly. Remember that as a special COVID-19 accommodation you may decline housing without incurring the usual relinquishment fee. There is no deadline for relinquishing housing; if the semester has already begun, you will only be charged a per diem room and board rate.

You may also use the portal to submit a late housing request, if you are a sophomore, junior, or senior. You will be placed on a waitlist and notified if housing becomes available.

Back to top 

Arrival Quarantine

All students enrolled in residence, whether living on campus or off, must adhere to an arrival quarantine. Please note that other quarantines, if necessary, may go into effect during the semester.

Will I have to quarantine? (Updated January 25, 2021)

Yes, if you will be enrolled in residence, whether you will be living on campus or off.

Unlike the fall, there is no option to arrive after the quarantine period ends, not even for students traveling from nearby or who have remained on campus since last semester. There is also no exemption based on prior viral test results, positive or negative, or on vaccination status.

Back to top

How long is the arrival quarantine?

The arrival quarantine has three phases for on-campus students:

Phase one: 24 to 36 hours

In the first phase, you will need to stay in your suite until you receive a negative result of the test you take on arrival, usually 24 to 36 hours. Grab-and-go meals, which you will pick up and eat in your suite during this initial period, will be provided when you pick up your key. You may leave your suite during this period for medical reasons, to use the bathroom, or for emergencies. You may not order food delivery during this phase of the arrival quarantine. Visitors to your suite are not allowed.

Phase two: receipt of negative test result until 6:59 a.m. on February 15

In the second phase, which starts after you receive a negative result from the test you take on arrival and continues until 6:59 a.m. on February 15, you will be able to leave your suite, but will need to stay within your residential college, or other campus residence, and the corresponding courtyard. Permission to leave will be granted only for testing, medical reasons, or for emergencies.

During this second period of the arrival quarantine, grab-and-go meals will be available from the dining hall, which will not yet offer seating. Food and other deliveries are permitted as long as they are contactless. Visitors to your suite are still not allowed.

Phase three: 7:00 a.m. on February 15 until at least 7:00 a.m. on March 1

In the third phase, which starts at 7:00 a.m. on February 15 and is currently scheduled to end at 7:00 a.m. on March 1, you will be able to leave your residential college or other campus residence but will need to remain on campus. This third phase, new for this semester’s arrival quarantine, brings Yale College into compliance with state guidelines and serves as an additional precaution to reduce the risk of viral spread.

During this final phase, please remain on campus, minimizing your interactions with the City of New Haven and the surrounding community. This means avoiding restaurants, coffee shops, stores, or any other spaces that are not campus buildings. (Purchasing items for delivery is fine as long as the transaction is socially distant and contactless.) It also means avoiding walks or runs into the city or local green spaces. If you are performing community service, please do that virtually. Get your meals from your dining hall, which will offer seating, and stay within campus buildings and campus spaces as much as you can.

Other students enrolled in residence and living on campus, and only they, may now visit to your suite, following the on-campus visitor guidelines.

At 7:00 a.m. on March 1, you will be able to leave campus and interact with the New Haven community, provided you follow the guidelines in the community compact. You will also be allowed to host off-campus students who are enrolled in residence, continuing to follow the guidelines above.

Back to top

Does the arrival quarantine also affect off-campus students enrolled in residence?

Yes. If you are living off campus and have returned from outside the state of Connecticut, you must follow Yale travel guidelines and Connecticut travel advisories for students returning to campus. Other than for your twice-weekly viral testing, you will not have access to campus until February 15. At that point, you will be granted access to classrooms, libraries, and other non-residential campus buildings; your access to the residential colleges and other dormitories is currently expected to begin on March 1.

Although the restrictions for students living on campus are not required of you, please consider following them from the date you arrive until March 1. Iinsofar as you are able, avoid restaurants, coffee shops, stores; purchasing items for delivery, with socially distant and contactless delivery.

Back to top

Belongings and Deliveries

The belongings I left behind in March 2020 are still in storage. When and how do I get them back? (Updated January 25, 2021)

If you are living on campus in Spring 2021, your belongings will be in your room.

If you are arriving to live off campus, you will need to arrange for pickup or delivery; see the Yale Conferences and Events FAQ page for more information.

If you are not returning, your belongings can remain in storage.

Back to top

I left belongings in my room when I left in November 2020. When and how do I get them back? (Updated January 25, 2021)

If you are returning to your fall semester room, your belongings will still be there. If you are shifting from one campus room to another, your belongings will be moved for you.

Back to top

I was assigned housing for Spring 2021, but later relinquished it. What has happened to my belongings? (New January 25, 2021)

Depending on the timing, your belongings may be in your assigned room or in storage. If they are in your room, you will not be able to retrieve them until after the arrival quarantine ends, currently March 1. If they are in storage, you can arrange for pickup or delivery; see the Yale Conferences and Events FAQ page for more information.

If you have additional questions about belongings that were in storage or were moved over the winter break, please see the FAQ page maintained by Yale Conferences and Events or write to

Back to top

How and when can I receive packages and deliveries? (New January 25, 2021)

To receive packages and deliveries, during and after the arrival quarantine period, please see the instructions on the Student Mail and Shipping page.

Back to top

Commencement (Added May 24, 2021)

How do I request emergency permission to travel before commencement?

Make your request by filling out the Emergency Travel Request form.

Back to top

What do COVID testing procedures look like for students who recently had COVID-19?

If you have had a positive COVID test on or after February 18 not need to participate in the pre-graduation testing program. If your test was taken outside Yale Health testing system, email documentation to Student Medicine ( no later than May 10. If you are staying on Old Campus, you do not need to arrive until May 21.

Back to top

Where can I find more information about commencement?

The university’s commencement website.

Back to top

Spring 2021 Move-Out (Added June 28, 2021)/h2>

When do I need to move out?

May 20, 2:00 p.m. if you are not participating in graduation events. You may check out any day before then.

May 25, 2:00 p.m. if you are participating in graduation events. You may check out any day before then.

Back to top

Will storage be available?

Limited storage arranged through your residential college will be available. You will be receiving more information from your college the week of May 3, 2021.

Back to top

How do I check out?

If you live on campus: On the day you leave, check out using the same portal you used when you moved in. You will then be released from your required testing schedule, and you will no longer have access to campus.

If you live off campus: On the day you leave, submit a learning location change request. You will then be released from your required testing schedule, and you will no longer have access to campus.

Back to top

Can anyone help me move out of my campus housing? (Updated May 17, 2021, Added June 28, 2021)

Family, friends, or outside helpers may meet you outside the gate of your residence, but they may not enter any residences or courtyards, including Old Campus, even if they have been vaccinated. Only students enrolled in residence may enter campus residences; any of your classmates who are enrolled in residence, whatever their college affiliation, may help you move your belongings.

Back to top

Can I check out early? (New May 7, 2021)


Back to top

Registering On-Campus Gatherings (New February 10, 2021, Added June 28, 2021)

What kinds of gatherings do I need to register?

The registration policy applies to on-campus, indoor gatherings of more than 7 students. Remember that no student gatherings may be larger than 10 people, on or off campus, indoors or outdoors. This policy applies to gatherings in suites, classrooms, common rooms, and other campus spaces.

Back to top

How do I register a gathering?

Fill out the gathering registration form on YaleConnect. You can register a gathering in advance, or in the moment if you reach 8 students.

Back to top

What happens once I register a gathering?

By registering a gathering, you can get support to help reduce the risk of contagion at your event. The registration form includes key strategies and resources from the Public Health Education for Peers team (the PHEPs); it also connects you to the Public Health Coordinators (the PHCs). If concerns emerge about your gathering, the PHCs will call or text to help you address the issues in the moment; you can always call them yourself, too, at 203-737-1414. If they can’t reach you, or if you can’t bring the gathering back within the public health guidelines, Yale Security will end the gathering.

Back to top

What happens if a gathering takes place without being registered?

Unregistered gatherings will be shut down by Yale Security and the hosts referred to the Compact Review Committee.

Back to top

What can I do if I am concerned that a gathering is unsafe?

If you can, communicate with the hosts of the gathering and see if they can address the issue. Hosts can remind participants to put on their face coverings and maintain social distance, or reduce the size of the gathering. If you are not able to intervene yourself or prefer not to, you can call the PHCs to alert them to your concern. If the gathering is registered, the PHCs can call or text the hosts to help them solve the problems. If the hosts haven’t registered the event, then Yale Security will shut it down.

Back to top

I am hosting a gathering that does not require registration (it’s too small, outside, or off-campus). Can I still get support?

Yes. You can always register any on-campus event. And both on and off campus, the PHEPs and the PHCs are available to work with you on strategies to help protect the health and safety of you and your guests. If your gathering is a party, you can also get help from the AODHRI team.

Back to top

Policy Summary (Added June 28, 2021)

Enrolled in residence (Updated August 3, 2020)

Students in this group have been invited to be part of the residential community and have accepted that invitation. They will have access to campus, participate in the community compact, and be required to undergo twice weekly viral testing.

Students enrolled in residence fall into these categories:

  • First-year students in the fall living on campus;
  • Sophomores in the spring living on campus;
  • Juniors and seniors living on campus;
  • Juniors and seniors living off campus but in the neighborhoods adjacent to it or within commuting distance and who expect to interact with the residential community;
  • Other students with special permission to live on campus.

Back to top

Enrolled remotely

Students in this group will not be part of the residential community. They will not have access to campus (with the exception of the health center), they will not be eligible for routine testing, and they are asked to avoid interacting with the residential community for reasons of public health.

Students enrolled remotely fall into these categories:

  • Eligible members of the enrolled-in-residence cohort, above, who decline the invitation to be part of the residential community, regardless of their residential location;
  • Enrolled first-year students in the spring, regardless of their residential location, unless they have received special permission to live on campus for the spring semester;
  • Enrolled sophomores in the fall, regardless of their residential location, unless they have received special permission to live on campus for the fall semester.

Back to top

On leave

Students who are on a leave of absence, regardless of their residential location.

Back to top

Summary table

  Enrolled in residence Enrolled remotely On leave
Community compact, including regular viral testing Yes No No
Access to campus, including residential colleges Yes None None
Cost of Attendance Full Reduced None
Campus Job Priority #1 Financial aid; #2 Others #2 Remote only #3 Remote only
Participation in Student Organizations Yes Remote only Remote only

Back to top

Life on campus (Added June 28, 2021)

Will I have access to campus if I am living off campus? (Updated January 25, 2021)

Yes, but only if you are enrolled in residence. Students enrolled remotely, on a leave of absence, or withdrawn will not have access to campus.

Back to top

If I am living on campus, will I be able to eat in the dining hall? (Updated August 28, 2020)

Yale Dining will operate with additional service locations, extended hours in some locations, and frequent cleaning and sanitizing. Packaged take-out meals, grab-and-go, and pre-ordered meals will be available in all dining halls, with special provision for those with dietary restrictions and allergies. Seating in college dining halls will be reduced in order to provide social distancing, but additional seating will be provided in common rooms, courtyards, and other locations. Because of reduced capacity, seating within the dining hall will be limited to college residents.

A FAQ posted by Yale Hospitality answers more questions about dining options. It is available here.

Back to top

Can I have visitors in my on-campus housing? (Updated January 25, 2021)

Yes, but only other undergraduates enrolled in residence. If you have visitors in your suite, you and they must wear face coverings and maintain six feet of distance while in the common areas. The maximum gathering size is ten people; however, based on the size of your suite and the need for distance, your maximum may be fewer than ten. You must register any gathering of more than seven people on Campus Groups; that form will be available soon. There may be times, such as during arrival quarantine, when some or all visitors are prohibited.

Back to top

What meetings and gatherings will be permitted? (Updated January 25, 2021)

The university will limit the size of gatherings both indoors and out to accommodate social distancing and conform to density guidelines and state rules. Classrooms and other common spaces will have reduced capacity. All who are gathered in groups of any size must wear face coverings and stay six feet away from each other.

Gatherings of more than 10 people are not allowed without special permission from the Health and Safety Leader.

Back to top

Can I reserve classrooms? (Updated March 3, 2021)

Yes. Yale College students may reserve classrooms in William L. Harkness Hall (WLH) and Linsly-Chittenden Hall (LC) for study space, student meetings, and other very small student gatherings. For these purposes, there may be no more than ten students per room or fewer as directed by the posted capacity limits; gatherings of over 7 people must be registered on Campus Groups. Classrooms may never be used for larger social gatherings or for parties. Hours are 7:00 a.m. until midnight, seven days a week.

Back to top

Will the cultural centers and other student centers be open? (New August 17, 2020)

Several centers and offices – the Afro-American Cultural Center, the Asian-American Cultural Center, La Casa Cultural de Julia de Burgos (the Latino Cultural Center), the Native American Cultural Center, the Office of LGBTQ Resources, the Chaplain’s Office, and the Office of International Students and Scholars – will be conducting their programming virtually. For more information, see their respective websites. Their spaces will not be open as they are usually, but they may be, in limited ways and in accordance with public safety guidelines, and with the approval of the Center Director.

Back to top

May I visit classmates from other residential colleges and access spaces within my residential college?

Students may go to many spaces on campus, including visiting other residential colleges, as long as they wear face coverings and maintain social distancing. Certain spaces, such as buttery kitchens, other student kitchens, and residential colleges gyms, will be closed until public health guidance indicates that it is safe to reopen them. 

Back to top

Will there be places to study and socialize outside of the residential colleges and classrooms?

Yes, most facilities on campus will be open, with social distancing in force. While the weather is good, we encourage you to use outdoor spaces, as the risk of transmission of the coronavirus is lower outdoors.

Back to top

Will I be able to study in the library?

Yes, most libraries on campus will be open, with changes to seating, hours, and some services.

Back to top

May I take a student job on campus or remotely? (New July 14, 2020)

Maybe. Social distancing constraints are expected to reduce the number and variety of student jobs, so the highest priority for employment will be given to students enrolled in residence who are on financial aid. Second priority will be given to other enrolled students.

On July 1, this FAQ advised students on leave that they could not take campus jobs, even remote ones. In response to questions about this policy, public health experts confirmed that students on leave cannot work on campus. This decision is guided by safety concerns; the community needs to maintain a low density of students on campus and not overburden the community’s testing capacity. As an update to the July 1 announcement, students on leave can be considered for jobs that can be conducted remotely, but those jobs are not guaranteed, and students enrolled in residence will receive higher priority even for those jobs.

When a student job is posted, all interested students can apply, but priority for filling them follows this order:

  1. For the first two weeks after a new student job is posted or until September 14 (whichever is later), it will only be offered to students receiving financial aid and who are enrolled in residence.
  2. After a new student job has been posted for two weeks or September 14 (whichever is later), and after the Student Employment Office has determined that no other qualified student on aid is seeking the position, it may be offered to other enrolled students as the second priority, and then remote jobs can be offered to students on leave as the third priority. Federal work-study funds cannot be used to pay students on leave.
  3. Some student jobs, such as Undergraduate Learning Assistants, need to be filled well before September 14, so they will post earlier deadlines with priority given to enrolled students receiving financial aid, approved to live on or near campus.

Back to top

I normally conduct research in a laboratory. Will I have access to the lab? (Updated July 15, 2020)

Maybe. Only students enrolled in residence will have access to campus, including labs and on-campus jobs; however, students enrolled remotely or on leave are eligible to participate remotely. For more information, see the FAQ about campus jobs.

Back to top

What athletics programs will continue? (Updated January 14, 2021)

Ivy League varsity sports have been canceled for the fall of 2020, and a decision about spring 2021 will be announced later in the year. Club, intramural sports, fitness classes, and recreational athletics may be permitted if they can be conducted in accordance with state guidance and appropriate social distancing. Varsity athletes should consult with the athletics department concerning NCAA eligibility requirements.

More information about intramural sports is available here.

Back to top

Will the gym be open? (Updated August 28, 2020)

Yes. For more information, please see the letter from Athletic Director Vicky Chun to Yale College.

Back to top

How has the timeline for the Schwarzman Center’s physical launch been impacted by COVID? (New August 19, 2020)

The Center’s physical launch has been delayed until 2021, and we expect to announce our new physical launch date once campus has fully reopened.

Back to top

What are the Schwarzman Center offerings planned for the residential/remote fall semester? (New August 19, 2020)

Physical distancing has underscored the vital role that online communities play in fostering collaboration, wellness and belonging. To that end, the Schwarzman Center recently began producing online programming that encourages social cohesion and creativity, beginning with the web series One. The new Schwarzman Center website, which we look forward to announcing in coming months, features a way for students to share and collaborate on creative works, which is just one way we are continuing to engage students in the development of the Center’s digital, and later physical, programming.

Back to top

Which extra-curricular activities will be canceled?

Activities that cannot be conducted with appropriate social distancing, such as dramatic performances, undergraduate productions, singing groups, and some other musical groups will have to be re-imagined to take place online.

Most other extra-curricular activities will continue, with appropriate social distancing.

Back to top

Which large group events will be canceled or moved online?

Certain large group events, such as first-year orientation, first-year assembly and family weekend, will take place online.

Back to top

Life off campus (Added June 28, 2021)

If I return to residence in New Haven, can I leave for any reason? If I have to leave for a family emergency, would I not be able to return? (Updated January 25, 2021)

Travel outside Connecticut will be discouraged for the duration of the pandemic. Undergraduates may travel only for emergencies; approval may also be granted for travel that is essential for educational or personal reasons. Use the emergency travel request form to apply for permission to travel. You will have to quarantine according to state and university guidelines upon your return.

Back to top

Can I go to stores and restaurants in New Haven? (Updated January 25, 2021)

Students may go to stores in New Haven as long as they follow public health guidance currently in place, such as wearing face coverings and practicing social distancing. All community members are strongly discouraged from eating inside restaurants; if outdoor seating is not possible, use take-out or delivery options instead.

Back to top

What guidance regarding public health must I follow?

All students who are enrolled in residence, whether living on campus or in the New Haven area, are required to sign a community compact and are expected to comply with all social distancing, testing, and quarantine protocols.

Back to top

Can I engage in community service?

Community service will need to be restructured to minimize spread to the local community.

Back to top


Can I produce a theater, dance, comedy, musical, or other performance this semester? (Updated February 2, 2021)

Co-present performances (indoors or out) are not permitted during the 2020-2021 academic year, to address COVID transmission risks among audience members and production team members, but performances can be envisioned to take place online in many forms. Undergraduate Production (UP) Technical Directors are available to advise and support student teams working on virtual projects. Students interested in exploring the options for virtual performance should contact any of the UP Technical Directors. You can view projects being planned for the academic year, and browse opportunities to get involved on the Yale College Arts website.

Back to top

What will membership in the Yale College Ensembles (Yale Concert Band, Yale Jazz Initiative, Yale Precision Marching Band, Yale Glee Club, Yale Symphony Orchestra) be like this year? (Updated February 2, 2021)

The Yale College ensembles (Yale Concert Band, Yale Jazz Initiative, Yale Precision Marching Band, Yale Glee Club, Yale Symphony Orchestra) will remain vital, active spaces this academic year, with a focus on maintaining and growing their communities, expanding and diversifying their repertoire, and welcoming new members. In addition to other activities, the ensembles will make music together and share it with the Yale community. Modes of music making will be different this year, relying primarily on virtual platforms, and the ensembles will make the most of opportunities to connect across distance and to celebrate together.

Back to top

Can I join or participate in an a capella group this semester? (Updated February 2, 2021)

The Singing Group Council (SGC) cancelled Rush for the 2020-2021 academic year. Auditions will next take place in Fall 2021. Meanwhile, the member groups are committed to creating other opportunities for students to connect with singing groups at Yale, especially for first-year students. The SGC will work with member groups to support virtual concerts and Jams as well as social events for first-years to interact with the groups.

Back to top

Can I take music lessons this semester? (Updated February 2, 2021)

Due to Covid-19 restrictions, only for-credit lessons will be offered in academic year 2020-2021. The ongoing nature of the pandemic as well as the safety concerns surrounding lessons and practice spaces have required the Yale School of Music to cancel the Non-Credit Lessons Program this year. All for-credit lessons will take place online.

Students wishing to apply for credit lessons must fill out an application for lessons. Students will then be invited to upload an audition video on Canvas. More information about the Music Program at Yale can be found on the YSM website, as well as the Department of Music website.

Back to top

What are my options for practicing music this academic year? (Updated February 2, 2021)

Use of practice rooms is extremely limited and may not be available in all colleges. All music students (graduate and undergraduate) are encouraged to practice in their own rooms whenever possible.

Undergraduate students taking for-credit lessons in piano may apply to their Head of College office for single-person use of pianos in music rooms, but not common spaces. Practice rooms for students taking credit lessons will be available in the Adams Center for Musical Arts, on a need-based and limited basis. The risk mitigation measures being taken in the music buildings will significantly cut down the number of hours available in these rooms.

Back to top

Are there opportunities for student-run music groups to make music and perform together? (Updated February 2, 2021)

Yes. All performance must be virtual this academic year and there are resources available to help student music groups adapt to this mode. Yale College Arts is making opportunities to work with VirtualChoir available to all music making student organizations. The resulting videos will be published on the Yale College Arts YouTube channel, and will be available to groups to link to from their own websites and/or social media spaces. Please contact Daisy Abreu, Administrative Coordinator for the Arts (, if you are a music organization leader interested in creating a virtual performance.

More information regarding virtual performance opportunities can be found on the Yale College Arts website.

Back to top

Will the Creative and Performing Arts awards be available to support student art making this year? (Updated February 2, 2021)

Yes, Creative and Performing Arts Awards will be available this year, with adaptations to fit the residential/remote mode. CPA funding is available to support solo projects or projects that are made using virtual collaborations. Any project funded by a 2020-2021 CPA must make the final project available online, in order to be accessible to the residential/remote Yale College community. These virtual projects could take several forms and the Yale College Arts team is available to help students think about the possibilities. Details will be published on the Creative and Performing Arts website.

Back to top

I am a visual artist. How can I share my work with the entire Yale Community online?

The Yale Office of Career Strategy has partnered with Wix to provide a multi-year premium account for free to currently enrolled Yale students. Students interested in exhibiting their visual arts projects may use this resource to share their work with the Yale community and beyond. Check out the Yale BA Art 2020 Digital Thesis Archive for inspiration on how to use Wix as an exhibition space. Find more information regarding online exhibition resources on the Yale College Arts website.

Back to top

Can I access the Center for Collaborative Arts and Media (CCAM) this semester? (Updated February 2, 2021)

In-person CCAM computer lab and studio use is not available for the 2020-2021 academic year, for reasons of public safety during COVID-19. Curricular use of the CCAM Virtual Computing Lab will be available to designated enrolled students beginning September 2, 2020. CCAM photo and filmmaking equipment will be checked out on term-long loans to students who need the equipment to complete coursework. More information about the CCAM Virtual Computing Lab and long-term loans through the Lending Lab can be found here. CCAM will offer student employment opportunities, involving remote assignments. More information about student employment opportunities at the CCAM can be found on the CCAM website.

Back to top

Summer 2021 (Added June 28, 2021)

What if I need to access campus before June 1? 

You can request access prior to June 1 by requesting in-residence status (LM2) on the spring learning location form. Please be sure to complete the public health requirements before accessing campus.

Back to top

Fall 2021 Move-In (Added July 8, 2021)

If I applied to study abroad next year but contracted for housing now, will Yale College waive the relinquishment fee if my applications is accepted?


Back to top

Misc. Archive

How do I register my COVID-19 vaccination?
May I request a leave of absence or postpone my matriculation if I no longer wish to enroll this fall? (New August 13, 2021)
My COVID-19 vaccination has been verified, but I am still seeing a Health Hold on my account. What is going on? (Updated August 19, 2021)
What if I received an exemption but have gotten vaccinated? (New August 13, 2021)
Will COVID-19 vaccines be required in the fall? (Updated August 5, 2021)
Will remote learning be an option? (Updated August 18, 2021)