Frequently Asked Questions

The information on this page is being updated frequently. Please check back often.

Last updated June 7, 2021.

Spring 2021 Move-Out

When do I need to move out?

May 20, 2:00 p.m. if you are not participating in graduation events. You may check out any day before then.

May 25, 2:00 p.m. if you are participating in graduation events. You may check out any day before then.

Back to top

Will storage be available?

Limited storage arranged through your residential college will be available. You will be receiving more information from your college the week of May 3, 2021.

Back to top

How do I check out?

If you live on campus: On the day you leave, check out using the same portal you used when you moved in. You will then be released from your required testing schedule, and you will no longer have access to campus.

If you live off campus: On the day you leave, submit a learning location change request. You will then be released from your required testing schedule, and you will no longer have access to campus.

Back to top

Can anyone help me move out of my campus housing? (Updated May 17, 2021)

Family, friends, or outside helpers may meet you outside the gate of your residence, but they may not enter any residences or courtyards, including Old Campus, even if they have been vaccinated. Only students enrolled in residence may enter campus residences; any of your classmates who are enrolled in residence, whatever their college affiliation, may help you move your belongings.

Back to top

Can I check out early? (New May 7, 2021)


Back to top

Summer (New May 24, 2021)

How do I get access to campus this summer? (Updated June 7, 2021)

If you need to be on campus this summer, you may seek permission to do so beginning June 1.

If you are living on campus through Yale Summer Session or another program, it will be set to “in residence on campus” (LM1).

For students living off-campus who wish to access campus at some point this summer, before trying to access campus, please check to see how your learning location is currently classified. If you need to make a change, use the Summer Learning Location Status Form to submit a request. Requests will be reviewed as quickly as possible, but it may take up to five business days for the change to take effect. Please do not submit multiple requests. You will receive an email once your request has been reviewed.

Be sure to describe your reason for needing campus access. Do not submit the form until you are ready to come to campus; once it is approved, you will be expected to be compliant with all public health requirements.

Back to top

What are the public health requirements for gaining accessing to campus this summer?

In order to gain access to campus this summer, you must sign and abide by the summer version of the Community Compact . If you did not take the spring-semester version of the COVID-19 safety training, you will also need to do that now; the training is available to you in Canvas.

If you will be living on campus, you will receive information about arrival testing and quarantine. If you will be living off campus, please follow Yale’s travel requirements for being on campus after traveling outside Connecticut.

Once you have received the final dose of your vaccination series, upload documentation to the Yale Vaccine Portal. Documenting your vaccination status this way will be especially important as policies increasingly differentiate between students who are fully vaccinated and those who are not.

Back to top

What if I need to access campus before June 1? 

You can request access prior to June 1 by requesting in-residence status (LM2) on the spring learning location form. Please be sure to complete the public health requirements before accessing campus.

Back to top

Fall 2021 Move-In

Will vaccines be required in the fall?

Yes. All students must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the time they arrive. You are encouraged to get vaccinated as soon as possible, if you have not already done so; make sure you receive your final dose at least two weeks before you arrive on campus.

Back to top

Where can I find out more about vaccines?

Information about vaccinations is available here, and additional vaccination information for international students is available here.

Back to top

How do I register my vaccination?

If you are vaccinated but not through Yale Health, register your vaccination by submitting documentation through the vaccination portal after you receive your final dose. (Vaccinations through Yale Health are registered automatically.)

Back to top

What if cannot get vaccinated on time?

If you are unable to be vaccinated in time, you will need to come to campus early to quarantine and fulfill other public health requirements. If you not have received a medical or religious exemption, and are not already vaccinated, you will be vaccinated when you arrive. You will receive more detailed instructions if you do not register a vaccination by early summer.

Back to top

Will remote learning be an option?

As President Salovey and Provost Strobel announced on March 29, Yale is planning for education to take place primarily in person in the fall 2021 semester.

Back to top

When can I move in? (Updated April 30, 2021)

August 23: Vaccinated students who are participating in pre-orientation programs move in. Programs run from August 23 to August 26.

August 27: Vaccinated first-year students (students beginning their first semester) move in, if they are not already on campus for a pre-orientation program. First-year orientation begins at 8:00 p.m.

August 30: Vaccinated sophomores (students who have completed one or two semesters) move in. Community meeting for sophomores begins at 5:00 p.m.

August 30 and 31: Vaccinated juniors and seniors (students who have completed three or more semesters) move in.

Back to top

Can anyone help me move into my campus housing?

No information is available yet about helpers.

Back to top

If I applied to study abroad next year but contracted for housing now, will Yale College waive the relinquishment fee if my applications is accepted? (New May 7, 2021)


Back to top

Registering On-Campus Gatherings (New February 10, 2021)

What kinds of gatherings do I need to register?

The registration policy applies to on-campus, indoor gatherings of more than 7 students. Remember that no student gatherings may be larger than 10 people, on or off campus, indoors or outdoors. This policy applies to gatherings in suites, classrooms, common rooms, and other campus spaces.

Back to top

How do I register a gathering?

Fill out the gathering registration form on YaleConnect. You can register a gathering in advance, or in the moment if you reach 8 students.

Back to top

What happens once I register a gathering?

By registering a gathering, you can get support to help reduce the risk of contagion at your event. The registration form includes key strategies and resources from the Public Health Education for Peers team (the PHEPs); it also connects you to the Public Health Coordinators (the PHCs). If concerns emerge about your gathering, the PHCs will call or text to help you address the issues in the moment; you can always call them yourself, too, at 203-737-1414. If they can’t reach you, or if you can’t bring the gathering back within the public health guidelines, Yale Security will end the gathering.

Back to top

What happens if a gathering takes place without being registered?

Unregistered gatherings will be shut down by Yale Security and the hosts referred to the Compact Review Committee.

Back to top

What can I do if I am concerned that a gathering is unsafe?

If you can, communicate with the hosts of the gathering and see if they can address the issue. Hosts can remind participants to put on their face coverings and maintain social distance, or reduce the size of the gathering. If you are not able to intervene yourself or prefer not to, you can call the PHCs to alert them to your concern. If the gathering is registered, the PHCs can call or text the hosts to help them solve the problems. If the hosts haven’t registered the event, then Yale Security will shut it down.

Back to top

I am hosting a gathering that does not require registration (it’s too small, outside, or off-campus). Can I still get support?

Yes. You can always register any on-campus event. And both on and off campus, the PHEPs and the PHCs are available to work with you on strategies to help protect the health and safety of you and your guests. If your gathering is a party, you can also get help from the AODHRI team.

Back to top

Policy Summary

Enrolled in residence (Updated August 3, 2020)

Students in this group have been invited to be part of the residential community and have accepted that invitation. They will have access to campus, participate in the community compact, and be required to undergo twice weekly viral testing.

Students enrolled in residence fall into these categories:

  • First-year students in the fall living on campus;
  • Sophomores in the spring living on campus;
  • Juniors and seniors living on campus;
  • Juniors and seniors living off campus but in the neighborhoods adjacent to it or within commuting distance and who expect to interact with the residential community;
  • Other students with special permission to live on campus.

Back to top

Enrolled remotely

Students in this group will not be part of the residential community. They will not have access to campus (with the exception of the health center), they will not be eligible for routine testing, and they are asked to avoid interacting with the residential community for reasons of public health.

Students enrolled remotely fall into these categories:

  • Eligible members of the enrolled-in-residence cohort, above, who decline the invitation to be part of the residential community, regardless of their residential location;
  • Enrolled first-year students in the spring, regardless of their residential location, unless they have received special permission to live on campus for the spring semester;
  • Enrolled sophomores in the fall, regardless of their residential location, unless they have received special permission to live on campus for the fall semester.

Back to top

On leave

Students who are on a leave of absence, regardless of their residential location.

Back to top

Summary table

  Enrolled in residence Enrolled remotely On leave
Community compact, including regular viral testing Yes No No
Access to campus, including residential colleges Yes None None
Cost of Attendance Full Reduced None
Campus Job Priority #1 Financial aid; #2 Others #2 Remote only #3 Remote only
Participation in Student Organizations Yes Remote only Remote only

Back to top


What is my learning location, and how do I review or change it? (New January 25, 2021)

Your learning location tells the university where you will be studying this semester. In most cases, you have been assigned a learning location based on how and where you studied during the fall term. If how and where you study has changed or will change for the spring term and you need to update your learning location assignment, you may do so directly via the Learning Location Status Update form or through the Yale Hub. To request an update to this initial assignment, select a new value from the drop-down field and enter a brief reason for the change. Follow the instructions to complete the request and e-sign the form to submit. Your request will be routed to your residential college dean to review. You will receive email notification once the request has been approved or declined.

Questions regarding the learning location status may be sent to

Back to top

For distinction in the major, how will spring 2020 courses be calculated, since they were all graded under the mandatory pass/fail system? (New September 4, 2020)

Calculation of distinction in the major, for students who were required to take a grade of Pass/Fail for courses in their major in the spring term of 2020, will exclude all courses taken that semester. It will also not require that 75% of grades in the major subject or program be A or A-, as published in the YCPS; instead, it will use the formula in the table below. To use it, count how many credits you earned in your major in semesters other than the spring of 2020. Next, find the corresponding number in the left column. Finally, look at the right column, where you will find the number of whole credits with grades of A or A- needed to earn distinction.

Credit count in the Major, excluding Spring 2020 Full Credits with A/A- needed for distinction, rounded down
6 4
7 5
8 6
9 6
10 7
11 8
12 9
13 9
14 10
15 11
16 12
17 12
18 13
19 14
20 15

Back to top

How will courses be taught?

Most Yale College courses will be offered online, featuring live Zoom seminars and a mix of live and recorded lectures. The faculty and staff are working hard to provide the best possible courses online, incorporating feedback from last semester’s and this summer’s online courses.

Some discussion sections, lab courses, studio courses, and collections-based courses will be offered in person, with smaller enrollments to allow for physical distancing and observance of all other precautions under public health guidance in force at the time the programs start.

Where possible, there may be some associated in-person component for courses that take place in an otherwise online fashion.

Back to top

What is the academic calendar for spring semester? (Updated December 10, 2020)

Back to top

What fees will change? (Updated January 25, 2021)

For the spring term of 2021, the housing relinquishment fee is waived; students who relinquish housing after February 1 will only be charged a per diem room and board rate. No room or board charges apply between January 28 and February 1.

Once relinquished, housing is not available for the rest of the semester.

The spring-term student activities fee will be reduced to $25. This will not affect the budgets of student organizations.

Rebates of other undergraduate charges follow standard policy.

There will be no extra charge for testing, or for isolation or quarantine housing.

Back to top

Can I enroll part time, taking one or two classes? (Updated December 10, 2020)

A student may not enroll in a program of study worth fewer than three course credits in one term. A student enrolled for three course credits may withdraw from one course credit between midterm and the first day of the reading period, receiving the neutral designation W (Withdrew) in that course. Similarly, a student enrolled for four or more course credits may withdraw from one or more courses as described above, but at no time may any student carry a schedule of courses that will earn fewer than two course credits in a term. More information is available under Course Credits and Course Loads within the Yale College Programs of Study. Any student who fails to earn more than two course credits in a single term is placed on Academic Warning. For more information, see Academic Penalties and Restrictions in the Yale College Programs of Study.

Please note that varsity athletes, international students on an F-1 visa, and ROTC candidates may have strict minimum enrollment requirements. If you fall into one or more of these categories, and if you are considering enrolling in only three course credits in August, and later dropping to two course credits and a W after Midterm (March 30, 2021), consult with the appropriate office. (Athletics, the Office of International Students and Scholars, or your Commander) to ensure that you do not endanger your eligibility or visa status.

Back to top

How will dean's excuses be handled this spring? (Updated December 10, 2021)

The policies about dean's excuses apply as they appear in the Yale College Programs of Study. As always, the basic responsibility for permitting postponement of work during the term rests with the instructor. However, the residential college dean may give permission for a student to make up work missed or delayed during the term in the cases described in the Academic Regulation. (see YCPS, section H, “Work Missed During the Term”) Students with questions about whether they qualify for a dean’s excuse (or think that they might need one) should communicate with their college dean.

Back to top

Can I take courses from another university during my leave of absence? (New July 9, 2020)

Yes; a student may apply as many as two course credits earned at another college or university toward the 36-course-credit requirement for graduation from Yale College; please see YCPS, section P, "Credit from Other Universities" for more information about outside credit policies. Many universities will offer courses online rather than in person during the coming academic year; under the Academic Regulations, online courses can earn Yale credit only if they include regular, synchronous interaction with the instructor, as well as regular feedback; additionally, online courses cannot be applied to distributional requirements (with a rare exception for languages not taught at Yale).

Other criteria and restrictions apply; please consult the full regulations on outside credits here.

Back to top

I was planning on studying abroad. Where can I get more information? (New July 30, 2020)

Please see the student abroad FAQ.

Back to top

What is the grading policy in Yale College?

Yale College has returned to the usual letter grade policies, with no provision for a universal pass/fail system.

Back to top

What are the policies guiding eligibility and use of the YSS COVID-19 Courses and YSS COVID-19 Housing Subsidies for summer study ("the special arrangement") that are available to first-year students and sophomores? (Updated March 3, 2021)

First-year students and sophomores who enroll for both the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters, with at least one term taken remotely, will be eligible to take two courses in Yale Summer Session (YSS) New Haven, Online, or Abroad in any summer before senior year; the special arrangement covers tuition for two courses, which do not need to be taken in the same session or year. First-year and sophomore students who successfully petitioned to live on campus for both semesters in 2020-2021 are not eligible for YSS COVID-19 Courses, which are for students required to study remotely without access to campus for one semester. If enrolling in YSS courses in New Haven, first-year students and sophomores who also receive financial aid may be eligible for additional financial support to cover on-campus room and board for one five-week session. Students who are interested in a YSS Program Abroad may apply these two courses toward the cost of tuition of two credits. Please note that admission is not guaranteed for YSS Programs Abroad and enrollment is limited. The special arrangement does not cover tuition for any courses taken outside of Yale Summer Session.

Planning for YSS 2021 has begun, and as of December 2020, the courses assume a continuation of this year's residential/remote model. According to this model, while many Yale College students will be in New Haven, living in residence in conditions of reduced density, classes will primarily be offered using remote modalities. Remote delivery allows all enrolled students to participate, both those who are in residence and those who are not. Classes that cannot be conducted without an in-person component (certain lab- or studio-based courses) may be offered to include those components, with social distancing, if the public health situation permits. And if circumstances improve significantly in time, a broader array of classes and activities may be offered in person. More information will be available closer to the application deadline (May 14, 2021, for Session A, and June 18, 2021, for Session B).

For more information on eligibility and on policies guiding the scheduling of courses, see the Yale Summer Session website.

Back to top

What courses, activities, and travel opportunities are available during summer 2021? (New February 4, 2021)

For complete information, please see: 

  • Yale Summer Session (YSS) 
    • All YSS Programs Abroad are cancelled for summer 2021.  
    • YSS will offer courses following this year's residential/remote model. More information about summer 2021 course offerings and the YSS COVID-19 Courses and COVID-19 Housing Subsidy can be found on the YSS website. 
  • Non-Yale Summer Study Abroad 
    • Non-Yale Study Abroad applications will open February 15 and will have a deadline of April 1.  
    • Study abroad approval will be determined according to the Travel Policy
    • The International Study Award (ISA) will be available for eligible students who are approved by Yale Study Abroad for programs abroad. (Please note that students may not use the ISA for online programs.) 
    • More information about summer study abroad and the approval timeline is available on the Yale Study Abroad website. 
  • Fellowships & Funding 
    • Yale fellowships and funding may be awarded for remote or in-person activities, as per Yale College’s International Travel Policy and the provisions of the applicable award. In-person activities funded by CIPE will be limited to destinations permitted by the Travel Policy, as determined by their status on April 5, 2021.  
    • Students pursuing a structured experience such as language study or an internship are required to have the support of the affiliated program or organization. Students pursuing an independent project or research are required to have the support of a Yale faculty member.  
    • More information about fellowships and funding for Summer 2021 can be found on the Summer Fellowships FAQ page.  
  • Yale in London 
    • Both summer terms are cancelled for summer 2021.  
  • Credit from Other Universities 
  • Internships 
  • Student Organization Travel 
    • All international experiences coordinated by a campus organization or entity that will include Yale College student travelers must abide by the Travel Policy
  • Independent Travel 

Back to top

Will the museums be open for teaching and research? (Updated July 22, 2020)

Yes, the Yale University Art Gallery and Yale Center for British Art will be available by appointment. The Yale Peabody Museum’s collections are open, but its galleries are closed for renovations.

Back to top

Will the Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning be open?

The Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning will be open on a by-appointment basis and will also provide a full range of online services.

Back to top

Public Health

How do I schedule my viral testing? (Updated January 25, 2021)

  1. Set up your MyChart account using the activation code you received from Yale Health. If you have trouble, contact Member Services.
  2. Go to
  3. Enter your Yale netid and password.
  4. Click on the scheduling link. It will take you automatically to your assigned testing location.
  5. Select a day based on your assigned testing pattern (Monday/Thursday or Tuesday/Friday). Please note that testing patterns may have changed from the fall (i.e. M/T or Tu/F), so please log into Yale Hub to check your assignment or, if necessary, to request a change in your test pattern.
  6. Select a time on your assigned scheduling day.
  7. Confirm your appointment.
  8. It's a good idea to schedule both weekly appointments now. To do that, go back to

Back to top

Is testing available to me if I am enrolled remotely or on leave but living in New Haven county? (New October 1, 2020)

Yes. If you would like to participate in free, voluntary testing for COVID-19, it is available to you this semester by appointment. Weekly testing is recommended. Although getting tested will not grant you access to campus, it helps protect your health and the community’s, especially when you also follow protocols for isolation, contact tracing, and quarantine. If you test positive, the Yale Health team will provide basic follow-up support, tell you how to isolate, and help you identify others who may be at risk.

To schedule tests:

  1. Set up your MyChart account using the activation code you received from Yale Health. If you have trouble, contact Member Services.
  2. Go to
  3. Enter your Yale netid and password.
  4. Click on the scheduling link.
  5. Select a date and time.
  6. Confirm your appointment.

Back to top

I have received my first of two vaccine doses in my home state. May I get my second one at Yale? (New January 25, 2021)

No. Each state is managing its own supply of vaccine and second doses are allocated at the time the first dose is administered. Yale Health recommends that you receive the second dose in your home state. To request a late arrival, write to; to apply for special permission to travel home for your second dose, fill out the emergency travel request form.

Back to top

What if I got my flu shot outside of Yale Health?

From within MyChart, click on “Ask a Question” under the Messaging icon. Select “Message your Provider,” choose a recipient, and set the subject to “Test Results Question.” In the body of the message, write “Flu shot documentation,” then select “Attach an Image” and upload your documentation; be sure to have your name and the date of the shot in the image. If you are unable to do this, send the image to and include your legal name and birthdate.

Back to top

What is Yale doing to reduce the risk of infection spreading among students, faculty, staff, and community members?

Yale began reactivation of on-campus research on June 1. Following guidelines from the State of Connecticut and the expert advice of Yale faculty in medicine, nursing, and public health, the university has developed phased Returning to Yale plans that include testing, contact tracing, self-isolation and quarantine, daily health checks, social distancing and face coverings. We are also reducing housing density in Yale College and some dormitory-style graduate residences. The university is following a careful, phased approach to resuming operations on campus, taking into consideration public health guidance, the needs of vulnerable populations, and the mission of the university.

Faculty at Yale and at the Yale New Haven Hospital have been active in treating COVID-19 and researching the biology and the transmission of the underlying coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2. Although Connecticut was originally one of the hardest-hit states, the rate of transmission (Rt) in the state as of July 1 is below 1, and as a result the number of new cases has fallen consistently since late April.

Back to top

What public health guidelines am I required to follow?

All students, trainees, faculty, and staff will be required to follow public health requirements in place at the time in-person activity resumes. Although the health risks to young people are in general less severe, it is essential that students comply with social distancing, face coverings, testing, contact tracing, self-isolation, quarantine, and other protocols not only for their own sake but also in order to reduce the risk of spreading the coronavirus to other community members including those in more vulnerable populations. Current public health guidance includes:

  • All members of the university community will be expected to wear face coverings except when in their residential suites, or alone in their offices or when eating, or exercising outdoors.
  • The university will supply face coverings and other necessary supplies to all students, trainees, faculty, and staff.
  • All university community members must observe social distancing requirements.
  • All individuals living, working, or studying on campus will be asked to monitor their health daily for symptoms suggestive of COVID-19.
  • Students must undergo viral testing according to the requirements in place for the Yale school in which they are enrolled and must follow any resultant isolation and quarantine requirements.
  • All university community members will share responsibility for regular hand-washing, surface cleaning, and other required hygiene.
  • All faculty, staff, students, and trainees will follow the detailed guidelines outlined below.

Back to top

Who are the Public Health Coordinators? (New September 10, 2020)

Public Health Coordinators (PHCs) are graduate and professional students living in the residential colleges to help support community wellness during the COVID-19 pandemic. The PHCs will be drawing on their own professional experiences, as well as in-depth training for this role. Many have a background in pastoral care, public health, and education, and all have an active interest in student affairs and community engagement. Learn more about the PHCs.

Back to top

How can I tell someone about behavior that puts the community at risk? (New September 10, 2020)

If you have concerns about situations or behaviors that may be putting the community at risk, you have options for how to respond. You can of course talk with the people involved; if you do, you will have the most impact if you focus on support, goals, and problem-solving. You can also turn to your PHC or Head of College. If you prefer to share your concerns in writing, you can use this form to communicate with the Office of Student Affairs.

Back to top

Where can I find the Community Compact? (New September 10, 2020)

The community compact is available on the Registrar's website.

Back to top

How will the Community Compact be enforced? (New September 10, 2020)

The Compact Review Committee (CRC) will consider repeated, serious or flagrant failures to meet the Community Compact commitments that are brought to its attention or any instance of noncompliance that poses a serious risk to the health and safety of the student or other community members. Find more information about the CRC.

Back to top

Must I wear a face covering?

Yes, all students, trainees, faculty, staff, and visitors must wear face coverings except when in their own residential college suite or apartment or alone in an office or when eating or exercising outdoors. Wearing a face covering is one of the most effective ways to prevent transmission of the coronavirus.

All members of the community should follow social distancing guidelines and good hygiene, including at meals.

People exercising outdoors need not wear face coverings as long as they maintain six feet distance from others. Rules for indoor exercise will follow state and public health guidelines.

Back to top

What are the requirements for social distancing?

In general, people should maintain six feet of distance from others whenever possible, including in classrooms, communal living spaces, and other campus locations. People living in the same suite or apartment will be considered a “family unit,” and it is not necessary to maintain distance from suitemates.

Back to top

What do I do if I have symptoms? (New September 10, 2020)

If you have symptoms of COVID-19 as identified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), you should stay home and avoid interactions with others. These symptoms currently include:

  • Fever or chills
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • Fatigue
  • Muscle or body aches
  • New loss of taste or smell 
  • Sore throat
  • Congestion or runny nose
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Diarrhea

Consult Yale Health’s website for recommendations about managing your symptoms and deciding whether to contact your healthcare provider.

If you have questions about COVID-19 at Yale, please call the Campus COVID Resource Line at 203-432-6604.

Back to top

What if I test positive?

Those who test positive will generally be required to self-isolate for 14 days. If you test positive before traveling, please wait 14 days before traveling to Yale.

Back to top

How will the university trace contacts of those who test positive?

The university has trained contact tracers who will identify close contacts and ask them to quarantine for 14 days. Testing will be recommended for all sustained contacts of anyone who tests positive.

Back to top

When will I be expected to isolate or quarantine?

Isolation applies to those who test positive for COVID-19. Quarantine applies to those who may have been in contact with an infected person or who are traveling from an area where COVID-19 is prevalent. Students who test positive will usually isolate in designated buildings on campus or in their off-campus housing. Students who have been in close contact with someone who tests positive will quarantine in their own housing or in designated buildings on campus, depending on the results of contact tracing.

In addition, those arriving from international destinations or states with high prevalence may be required by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or the State of Connecticut to quarantine for 14 days. The State of Connecticut requires a 14 day quarantine for travelers arriving from certain other U.S. states ( see current list at

Those who are in quarantine or in isolation will be able to take their courses online or through other remote options.

Back to top

What would cause the university to change its plans?

The university will follow guidance from the State of Connecticut that requires a change to these plans. See

If the public health situation worsens considerably in the next few weeks, the return to campus will be delayed. In that case, all courses – undergraduate, graduate, and professional – will be conducted exclusively through on-line delivery until the public health situation changes.

If the public health situation worsens considerably during the fall semester, students should be prepared to “stay-in-place” in their place of residence, whether residential colleges, other on-campus residences, or off-campus apartments. For those with meal plans, the university will continue to provide meals during any stay-in-place period. Classes would be held exclusively online during such a time.

Back to top

How can I learn more about public health requirements?

The university is requiring completion of a training program by all students, trainees, faculty, and staff prior to their return to campus. Please see the “Mandatory training for everyone returning to campus” section on the Health & Safety Guidelines page.

Yale also will establish rules regarding visitors to campus, travel away from campus, and other requirements to limit transmission of the coronavirus.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also offers guidance on living in shared housing.

Back to top

What if I am at a higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19?

We recommend that students with health conditions that make them especially vulnerable to COVID-19 consider remote options for study. Yale staff should consult the “Accommodations for Staff Returning to Campus” page or contact the Employee Service Center. Faculty should refer to the first question in the Faculty and Staff section above.

See guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Back to top

I have a hearing disability and need to read lips. Face coverings and social distancing will make this impossible. What accommodations will be made?

Most classes will have an online option that does not require wearing face coverings. For students with hearing disabilities in in-person classes, their instructors and classmates will be provided with special transparent face coverings or face shields to allow lip-reading.

Back to top

Life on campus

Will I have access to campus if I am living off campus? (Updated January 25, 2021)

Yes, but only if you are enrolled in residence. Students enrolled remotely, on a leave of absence, or withdrawn will not have access to campus.

Back to top

If I am living on campus, will I be able to eat in the dining hall? (Updated August 28, 2020)

Yale Dining will operate with additional service locations, extended hours in some locations, and frequent cleaning and sanitizing. Packaged take-out meals, grab-and-go, and pre-ordered meals will be available in all dining halls, with special provision for those with dietary restrictions and allergies. Seating in college dining halls will be reduced in order to provide social distancing, but additional seating will be provided in common rooms, courtyards, and other locations. Because of reduced capacity, seating within the dining hall will be limited to college residents.

A FAQ posted by Yale Hospitality answers more questions about dining options. It is available here.

Back to top

Can I have visitors in my on-campus housing? (Updated January 25, 2021)

Yes, but only other undergraduates enrolled in residence. If you have visitors in your suite, you and they must wear face coverings and maintain six feet of distance while in the common areas. The maximum gathering size is ten people; however, based on the size of your suite and the need for distance, your maximum may be fewer than ten. You must register any gathering of more than seven people on Campus Groups; that form will be available soon. There may be times, such as during arrival quarantine, when some or all visitors are prohibited.

Back to top

What meetings and gatherings will be permitted? (Updated January 25, 2021)

The university will limit the size of gatherings both indoors and out to accommodate social distancing and conform to density guidelines and state rules. Classrooms and other common spaces will have reduced capacity. All who are gathered in groups of any size must wear face coverings and stay six feet away from each other.

Gatherings of more than 10 people are not allowed without special permission from the Health and Safety Leader.

Back to top

Can I reserve classrooms? (Updated March 3, 2021)

Yes. Yale College students may reserve classrooms in William L. Harkness Hall (WLH) and Linsly-Chittenden Hall (LC) for study space, student meetings, and other very small student gatherings. For these purposes, there may be no more than ten students per room or fewer as directed by the posted capacity limits; gatherings of over 7 people must be registered on Campus Groups. Classrooms may never be used for larger social gatherings or for parties. Hours are 7:00 a.m. until midnight, seven days a week.

Back to top

Will the cultural centers and other student centers be open? (New August 17, 2020)

Several centers and offices – the Afro-American Cultural Center, the Asian-American Cultural Center, La Casa Cultural de Julia de Burgos (the Latino Cultural Center), the Native American Cultural Center, the Office of LGBTQ Resources, the Chaplain’s Office, and the Office of International Students and Scholars – will be conducting their programming virtually. For more information, see their respective websites. Their spaces will not be open as they are usually, but they may be, in limited ways and in accordance with public safety guidelines, and with the approval of the Center Director.

Back to top

May I visit classmates from other residential colleges and access spaces within my residential college?

Students may go to many spaces on campus, including visiting other residential colleges, as long as they wear face coverings and maintain social distancing. Certain spaces, such as buttery kitchens, other student kitchens, and residential colleges gyms, will be closed until public health guidance indicates that it is safe to reopen them. 

Back to top

Will there be places to study and socialize outside of the residential colleges and classrooms?

Yes, most facilities on campus will be open, with social distancing in force. While the weather is good, we encourage you to use outdoor spaces, as the risk of transmission of the coronavirus is lower outdoors.

Back to top

Will I be able to study in the library?

Yes, most libraries on campus will be open, with changes to seating, hours, and some services.

Back to top

May I take a student job on campus or remotely? (New July 14, 2020)

Maybe. Social distancing constraints are expected to reduce the number and variety of student jobs, so the highest priority for employment will be given to students enrolled in residence who are on financial aid. Second priority will be given to other enrolled students.

On July 1, this FAQ advised students on leave that they could not take campus jobs, even remote ones. In response to questions about this policy, public health experts confirmed that students on leave cannot work on campus. This decision is guided by safety concerns; the community needs to maintain a low density of students on campus and not overburden the community’s testing capacity. As an update to the July 1 announcement, students on leave can be considered for jobs that can be conducted remotely, but those jobs are not guaranteed, and students enrolled in residence will receive higher priority even for those jobs.

When a student job is posted, all interested students can apply, but priority for filling them follows this order:

  1. For the first two weeks after a new student job is posted or until September 14 (whichever is later), it will only be offered to students receiving financial aid and who are enrolled in residence.
  2. After a new student job has been posted for two weeks or September 14 (whichever is later), and after the Student Employment Office has determined that no other qualified student on aid is seeking the position, it may be offered to other enrolled students as the second priority, and then remote jobs can be offered to students on leave as the third priority. Federal work-study funds cannot be used to pay students on leave.
  3. Some student jobs, such as Undergraduate Learning Assistants, need to be filled well before September 14, so they will post earlier deadlines with priority given to enrolled students receiving financial aid, approved to live on or near campus.

Back to top

I normally conduct research in a laboratory. Will I have access to the lab? (Updated July 15, 2020)

Maybe. Only students enrolled in residence will have access to campus, including labs and on-campus jobs; however, students enrolled remotely or on leave are eligible to participate remotely. For more information, see the FAQ about campus jobs.

Back to top

What athletics programs will continue? (Updated January 14, 2021)

Ivy League varsity sports have been canceled for the fall of 2020, and a decision about spring 2021 will be announced later in the year. Club, intramural sports, fitness classes, and recreational athletics may be permitted if they can be conducted in accordance with state guidance and appropriate social distancing. Varsity athletes should consult with the athletics department concerning NCAA eligibility requirements.

More information about intramural sports is available here.

Back to top

Will the gym be open? (Updated August 28, 2020)

Yes. For more information, please see the letter from Athletic Director Vicky Chun to Yale College.

Back to top

How has the timeline for the Schwarzman Center’s physical launch been impacted by COVID? (New August 19, 2020)

The Center’s physical launch has been delayed until 2021, and we expect to announce our new physical launch date once campus has fully reopened.

Back to top

What are the Schwarzman Center offerings planned for the residential/remote fall semester? (New August 19, 2020)

Physical distancing has underscored the vital role that online communities play in fostering collaboration, wellness and belonging. To that end, the Schwarzman Center recently began producing online programming that encourages social cohesion and creativity, beginning with the web series One. The new Schwarzman Center website, which we look forward to announcing in coming months, features a way for students to share and collaborate on creative works, which is just one way we are continuing to engage students in the development of the Center’s digital, and later physical, programming.

Back to top

Which extra-curricular activities will be canceled?

Activities that cannot be conducted with appropriate social distancing, such as dramatic performances, undergraduate productions, singing groups, and some other musical groups will have to be re-imagined to take place online.

Most other extra-curricular activities will continue, with appropriate social distancing.

Back to top

Which large group events will be canceled or moved online?

Certain large group events, such as first-year orientation, first-year assembly and family weekend, will take place online.

Back to top

Life off campus

If I return to residence in New Haven, can I leave for any reason? If I have to leave for a family emergency, would I not be able to return? (Updated January 25, 2021)

Travel outside Connecticut will be discouraged for the duration of the pandemic. Undergraduates may travel only for emergencies; approval may also be granted for travel that is essential for educational or personal reasons. Use the emergency travel request form to apply for permission to travel. You will have to quarantine according to state and university guidelines upon your return.

Back to top

Can I go to stores and restaurants in New Haven? (Updated January 25, 2021)

Students may go to stores in New Haven as long as they follow public health guidance currently in place, such as wearing face coverings and practicing social distancing. All community members are strongly discouraged from eating inside restaurants; if outdoor seating is not possible, use take-out or delivery options instead.

Back to top

What guidance regarding public health must I follow?

All students who are enrolled in residence, whether living on campus or in the New Haven area, are required to sign a community compact and are expected to comply with all social distancing, testing, and quarantine protocols.

Back to top

Can I engage in community service?

Community service will need to be restructured to minimize spread to the local community.

Back to top


Can I produce a theater, dance, comedy, musical, or other performance this semester? (Updated February 2, 2021)

Co-present performances (indoors or out) are not permitted during the 2020-2021 academic year, to address COVID transmission risks among audience members and production team members, but performances can be envisioned to take place online in many forms. Undergraduate Production (UP) Technical Directors are available to advise and support student teams working on virtual projects. Students interested in exploring the options for virtual performance should contact any of the UP Technical Directors. You can view projects being planned for the academic year, and browse opportunities to get involved on the Yale College Arts website.

Back to top

What will membership in the Yale College Ensembles (Yale Concert Band, Yale Jazz Initiative, Yale Precision Marching Band, Yale Glee Club, Yale Symphony Orchestra) be like this year? (Updated February 2, 2021)

The Yale College ensembles (Yale Concert Band, Yale Jazz Initiative, Yale Precision Marching Band, Yale Glee Club, Yale Symphony Orchestra) will remain vital, active spaces this academic year, with a focus on maintaining and growing their communities, expanding and diversifying their repertoire, and welcoming new members. In addition to other activities, the ensembles will make music together and share it with the Yale community. Modes of music making will be different this year, relying primarily on virtual platforms, and the ensembles will make the most of opportunities to connect across distance and to celebrate together.

Back to top

Can I join or participate in an a capella group this semester? (Updated February 2, 2021)

The Singing Group Council (SGC) cancelled Rush for the 2020-2021 academic year. Auditions will next take place in Fall 2021. Meanwhile, the member groups are committed to creating other opportunities for students to connect with singing groups at Yale, especially for first-year students. The SGC will work with member groups to support virtual concerts and Jams as well as social events for first-years to interact with the groups.

Back to top

Can I take music lessons this semester? (Updated February 2, 2021)

Due to Covid-19 restrictions, only for-credit lessons will be offered in academic year 2020-2021. The ongoing nature of the pandemic as well as the safety concerns surrounding lessons and practice spaces have required the Yale School of Music to cancel the Non-Credit Lessons Program this year. All for-credit lessons will take place online.

Students wishing to apply for credit lessons must fill out an application for lessons. Students will then be invited to upload an audition video on Canvas. More information about the Music Program at Yale can be found on the YSM website, as well as the Department of Music website.

Back to top

What are my options for practicing music this academic year? (Updated February 2, 2021)

Use of practice rooms is extremely limited and may not be available in all colleges. All music students (graduate and undergraduate) are encouraged to practice in their own rooms whenever possible.

Undergraduate students taking for-credit lessons in piano may apply to their Head of College office for single-person use of pianos in music rooms, but not common spaces. Practice rooms for students taking credit lessons will be available in the Adams Center for Musical Arts, on a need-based and limited basis. The risk mitigation measures being taken in the music buildings will significantly cut down the number of hours available in these rooms.

Back to top

Are there opportunities for student-run music groups to make music and perform together? (Updated February 2, 2021)

Yes. All performance must be virtual this academic year and there are resources available to help student music groups adapt to this mode. Yale College Arts is making opportunities to work with VirtualChoir available to all music making student organizations. The resulting videos will be published on the Yale College Arts YouTube channel, and will be available to groups to link to from their own websites and/or social media spaces. Please contact Daisy Abreu, Administrative Coordinator for the Arts (, if you are a music organization leader interested in creating a virtual performance.

More information regarding virtual performance opportunities can be found on the Yale College Arts website.

Back to top

Will the Creative and Performing Arts awards be available to support student art making this year? (Updated February 2, 2021)

Yes, Creative and Performing Arts Awards will be available this year, with adaptations to fit the residential/remote mode. CPA funding is available to support solo projects or projects that are made using virtual collaborations. Any project funded by a 2020-2021 CPA must make the final project available online, in order to be accessible to the residential/remote Yale College community. These virtual projects could take several forms and the Yale College Arts team is available to help students think about the possibilities. Details will be published on the Creative and Performing Arts website.

Back to top

I am a visual artist. How can I share my work with the entire Yale Community online?

The Yale Office of Career Strategy has partnered with Wix to provide a multi-year premium account for free to currently enrolled Yale students. Students interested in exhibiting their visual arts projects may use this resource to share their work with the Yale community and beyond. Check out the Yale BA Art 2020 Digital Thesis Archive for inspiration on how to use Wix as an exhibition space. Find more information regarding online exhibition resources on the Yale College Arts website.

Back to top

Can I access the Center for Collaborative Arts and Media (CCAM) this semester? (Updated February 2, 2021)

In-person CCAM computer lab and studio use is not available for the 2020-2021 academic year, for reasons of public safety during COVID-19. Curricular use of the CCAM Virtual Computing Lab will be available to designated enrolled students beginning September 2, 2020. CCAM photo and filmmaking equipment will be checked out on term-long loans to students who need the equipment to complete coursework. More information about the CCAM Virtual Computing Lab and long-term loans through the Lending Lab can be found here. CCAM will offer student employment opportunities, involving remote assignments. More information about student employment opportunities at the CCAM can be found on the CCAM website.

Back to top

For more information

Where can I get more information? (Updated September 2, 2020)

For guidance from Yale College:

These FAQs will be updated regularly. For more information, please write to

For guidance about study abroad:

For guidance about financial aid:

For guidance about COVID-19:
Campus COVID Resource Line
203-432-6604 or 866-924-9253
Available seven days a week, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.

Back to top

Communications Feedback

Let us know how we’re doing as we continue to communicate about the 2020-21 academic year. We appreciate your input.
Take our brief survey.
Get in Touch