Choosing an Adviser

In the spring semester Freshmen are asked to find a faculty member in Yale College to be their academic adviser for their sophomore year. Students must find an advisor before submitting their Fall semester schedule as sophomores. Freshmen who have trouble thinking of a sophomore adviser should consult their residential college dean for help.

For students who plan to major in a natural science, mathematics, or engineering, sophomore course schedules must be approved by the Directors of Undergraduate Studies of those majors or by a designated representative. The DUS may also act as a sophomore adviser if he or she agrees.

Students may choose to continue with their freshman adviser, they may approach the instructor of a course related to their academic interests, or they may consult with a fellow of a residential college who teaches in a department. Directors of Undergraduate Studies and departmental representatives are especially valuable as advisers.