Housing, College Affiliation, and Advising Form (for Transfer Students)

We are eager for you to join the vibrant transfer and greater Yale communities this fall and seek to make you feel at home at Yale, both where you live and who advises you.

The housing and advising form consists of a series of questions that will help the housing office get a sense of who you are and what your living and environment preferences are. There are no right or wrong answers. Your responses will be considered during the matching process for housing. We wish that we could make all your preferences in this form a reality, but it’s simply not possible and we ask that you remain flexible.

Your responses are shared with select individuals on campus, including your head of college and residential college dean. The section titled “About Me” is also shared with your transfer adviser.

The completed form must be submitted no later than Friday, June 21 at 11:59 p.m. EDT.

General Housing Information

  • Each Yale College student is a member of one of the fourteen residential colleges. 
  • Most housing consists of mixed-gender suites on mixed gender floors. Most suites accommodate four, five, or six students. A suite is a grouping of singles and/or doubles that share a common room and may either have an internal bathroom or may share an external bathroom with other suites. Single rooms are very limited.
  • Most student rooms are not air-conditioned, and students are not ordinarily permitted to install or operate their own air conditioners.
  • Once housing has been assigned, no requests for changes will be considered.

Special Notes about Housing, Dining Services, and Accommodation for Students with Medical Conditions and Disabilities

  1. Second-year students are required to live on campus unless they are married or are at least twenty-one years of age. Requests for permission to live off campus for either of these reasons must be submitted in writing student.affairs@yale.edu by Friday, June 21 at 11:59 p.m. EDT
  2. A student who requests special consideration in rooming because of a disability must complete the online registration form for the Resource Office on Disabilities.  Please complete all fields and include enough information so that the ROD can fully understand the situation in order to make appropriate accommodations. Supporting medical documentation must be uploaded and attached to this registration form. Guidelines for documentation requirements can be found on our website. A timely response is especially important because once a rooming assignment has been made it will not be possible to change it.  Transfer students will learn their college assignments on Friday, June 28.
  3. Students with food allergies must notify the University so that plans can be made for necessary dietary considerations in dining halls.  Please complete the ROD online registration form to begin the process of notifying the appropriate parties. You will have the ability to upload supporting documentation outlining your needs on this form.

General Transfer Advising Information

Academic advising at Yale is a collaborative effort shared by the residential colleges, academic departments, and offices connected to the Yale College Dean’s Office. Residential college deans in each of the fourteen colleges provide general academic advice about matters such as selecting courses, choosing a major, and satisfying requirements for promotion and graduation. A transfer adviser selected by the Yale College Dean’s Office will assist with your transition to Yale and help you identify other relevant resources on campus. Your adviser has volunteered to advise you about your academic and other interests, adjustment to Yale, and your goals for your Yale College education.

In addition, designated faculty in each of the academic departments and programs provide specific advice concerning placement in courses and requirements for the major. You will have an opportunity to meet many of them at the Academic Fair, held the day before fall-term classes begin. Advisers in offices allied with the Yale College Dean’s Office offer guidance about a wide range of interests, including summer opportunities, study abroad, premedical planning, fellowships, and post-graduation plans. You can also learn more about first-year advising at Yale through the “Your Adviser and Advising” section of the Advising Resources Website.

It is important to understand that you have a critical role to play in your advising relationships. Your advisers are conversation partners, not information dispensers, and you should prepare to participate in these conversations by first reflecting on your interests and goals. You can begin that conversation by thoughtfully answering the questions that relate to your academic and extra-curricular interests on Housing and Advising Form below.

While students are not allowed to have pets in their rooms, would you be comfortable living in a suite with a service or assistance animal (usually a dog) if it were required by a roommate?
Please limit your answer to 500 characters including spaces.
Which area are you most likely to concentrate in?

Incoming students may request a specific residential college if and only if a parent, sibling or grandparent lived/lives in that residential college as a Yale undergraduate. Please note that this information will be verified before the assignment is made. If you have a sibling who will be enrolled in Yale College during this upcoming school year, you may opt into or opt out of their residential college.

Request Information
If another parent, sibling or grandparent has a residential college affiliation, you may request that college below.
Request Information
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.