Academic Advising for Transfer Students 

A “constellation of advisers” is available to you to help you learn about Yale, create an educational plan, follow Yale’s guidelines, and fulfill the requirements.

During the summer, the director of the transfer student program will assign you an academic adviser, generally a dean or senior staff member in the Yale College Dean’s Office. Soon after arrival on campus, you should contact your adviser to set up a time to meet and discuss your academic plans and any other questions you might have. It’s likely that your adviser will be able to answer your questions but, if not, he or she will direct you to faculty members or, perhaps, more senior transfer students, who can.

Your residential college dean and director of the transfer student program are also available to counsel students on personal and academic matters, and give advice about the rules of Yale College. Your residential college dean, in particular, is available to you, as to all students in his or her college, to provide academic advice at any time. The dean’s office maintains students’ academic records.

If you have a problem with a particular course, your adviser can often help you resolve it by discussing your problem with the instructor or the director of undergraduate studies (DUS) of the particular department or program, or by referring you to the tutoring program administered by the Yale Center for Teaching and Learning. Your adviser’s advice can be invaluable, not just in your first year but throughout your career at Yale. 

Transfer student advisers will direct any student who has already selected a major to the DUS of the relevant department or program. 

As you plan, you should keep in mind that the normal per-term course load is four or five course credits, and that, for the first term, transfer students are strongly encouraged to take no more than four courses.

Professional and Performance Courses

You may be granted credit for up to four courses taken at one of the Yale University professional schools or for performance (generally, music) courses. If you have already been granted four performance credits, you may select additional such courses at Yale, but you may not offer them toward the requirement of thirty-six term courses for the degree.

Transfer Student Orientation

Transfer Student Welcome Dinner
- Transfer Student Orientation Activities