International Experience

Thinking of studying, interning, or researching abroad? Information, including a listing of approved programs, FAQs, and links to useful Web sites, is available on the Center for International and Professional Experience (CIPE) Web site.

Each year students participate in the Yale Year or Term Abroad program. Some Yale Summer Session courses are offered abroad. On these programs students earn Yale course credit while studying in countries all over the world.

Year or Term Abroad students earn four course credits toward the bachelor’s degree for a term abroad and nine for a year. Students either enroll directly in a foreign university or select a program sponsored by a U.S. college. They may also choose to participate in a Yale program abroad, such as Yale-in-London.

Keep in mind that course credits earned from study abroad may be used to satisfy distributional requirements (with permission of the student’s residential college dean), major requirements (with permission of the DUS), and the 36-course-credit requirement for the bachelor’s degree.

Grades for courses taken abroad, however, are not included in the calculation of your Yale GPA.

In early fall there is an International Opportunities Fair as well. See the CIPE Web site for more resources.