The Nakanishi Prize will recognize two graduating seniors who have provided exemplary leadership in enhancing race and/or ethnic relations at Yale College during their undergraduate career while maintaining high standards of academic achievement. Two prizes will be awarded. Nominations from members of the Yale community are welcome and will be reviewed by the selection committee which will include faculty members, deans, and undergraduate students. Prize recipients will be announced during Class Day exercises.
Application Deadline: April 3, 2017
Any member of the Yale community may nominate a graduating senior whom he or she believes would be a good candidate for the prize as outlined by the award description above. Nakanishi Prize committee members cannot write nomination letters or serve as references. To nominate a student, complete the nominee information form below:
Past Nakanishi Prize Winners
- 2016: Sebastian Medina-Tayac and Esche Sherley
- 2015: Austin Li Long and Davis Duong Nguyen
- 2014: Katherine Frances Aragon and Kevin Chen
- 2013: Joshua Penny and Alejandro Gutierrez
- 2012: Eliot Kim and LaTisha Jeanette Campbell
- 2011: Elizabeth Anne Reese and Van Trinh Quoc Nguyen
- 2010: Katrina Landeta and Adrian Latortue
- 2009: Jonathan Jiménez and Cecilia Ong
- 2008: Altaf Saadi and Funmi Showole
- 2007: Andom Ghebreghiorgis and Marisol Leon
- 2006: Kahina Robinson and Bess Hinson
Members of the Yale community may nominate a graduating senior whom he or she believes would be a good candidate for the prize as outlined by the award description above.
Nakanishi Prize Selection Committee members cannot write nomination letters or letters of support.
- Burgwell Howard, Chair, Assoc. Vice President for Student Life, Dean of Student Engagement
- Risë Nelson, Assistant Dean of Yale College; Director, Afro-American Cultural Center
- Kelly Fayard, Assistant Dean of Yale College; Director, Native American Cultural Center
- Eileen Galvez, Assistant Dean of Yale College; Director, La Casa Cultural
- Sunny Xiang, Assistant Professor of English
- April Ruiz, Dean of Calhoun College
- Dinee Dorame, Admissions Officer
- Katherine McCleary ’18 – NACC nominee
- Jose Lopez ’18 – La Casa nominee
- Lili Johnson, Grad ’19 – AACC nominee
- Derek Muribu, ’19 – AACC nominee
- Wabantu Hlope ’18 – Af Am nominee
Nominations Due: April 3, 2017. For further information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.