Academic Advisers

To help you learn about Yale, shape a program particularly your own, follow Yale’s guidelines, and fulfill the requirements, a “constellation of advisers” is available to you.

Your residential college dean is available to you, as to all students in his or her college, to provide academic advice at any time. During the summer, in addition, the director of the transfer student program will assign you an adviser, generally a dean in the Yale College Dean’s Office. Soon after arrival, you should contact your adviser to set up a time to meet and discuss your academic plans and any other questions you might have. Your adviser may direct you to other faculty members or, perhaps, to more experienced transfer students, if it seems appropriate. Your residential college dean and director of the transfer student program are also available to counsel students on personal and academic matters, and give advice about the rules of Yale College. The residential college dean’s office maintains students’ academic records.

If you have a problem with a particular course, your adviser can often help you resolve it by discussing your problem with the instructor or the director of undergraduate studies (DUS) of the particular department or program, or by referring you to the tutoring program administered by the Yale Center for Teaching and Learning.  Your adviser’s advice can be invaluable, not just in your first year but throughout your career at Yale. 

Transfer student advisers will direct any student who has already selected a major to the DUS of the relevant department or program. 

As you plan, you should keep in mind that the normal per-term course load is four or five course credits, and that, for the first term, transfer students are strongly encouraged to take no more than four courses.