Housing and Advising Form

Please be sure to read all of the following information before clicking on the link at the bottom of the page.

The information you provide on this form will be used to assign you to your residential college, to your suitemates, and to your freshman advisers. Every entering freshman must complete a form before he or she can receive a housing assignment. Please note that your first submission will be final; you will not be able to change your preferences once you have clicked submit.

General Housing Information

Yale strongly believes that the best housing situations involve an interplay of people with different backgrounds and interests, and it is our experience that students gain much from this interplay. Indeed, we believe that such interaction forms an important part of a Yale College education. This system has worked very well in the past, and we trust that you will find it rewarding.

  • Each Yale College student is a member of one of the twelve residential colleges. Freshmen live in Silliman College, Timothy Dwight College, or in one of the eight dormitories on the Old Campus. Students live with other freshmen of the residential college to which they have been assigned.
  • Freshman housing consists of single-sex suites on single-sex floors. Most suites accommodate four, five or six freshmen and are typically made up of a common living room with attached bedrooms. Most first year students share a bedroom with a roommate. It is not possible to honor requests for single rooms.
  • Student rooms are not air conditioned, and students are not ordinarily permitted to install or operate their own air conditioning units.
  • Once housing has been assigned, it is impossible to honor requests for changes.

Special Notes about Housing and Dining Services

  1. Freshmen and sophomores are required to live on campus unless they are married or are at least twenty-one years of age. Requests for permission to live off campus for either of these reasons must be submitted in writing to freshman.affairs@yale.edu.
  2. Affiliation with a residential college is determined by lot, with just two exceptions.
    • An incoming freshman may request the residential college in which a parent, sibling, or grandparent lived as a Yale undergraduate.
    • When siblings will overlap as enrolled Yale undergraduates, an incoming freshman may request the sibling’s college or ask to be randomly assigned to one of the other eleven colleges. 

    The basis for these requests must be clearly stated on the housing form: e.g., “My mother was a member of that college” or “My brother will be an undergraduate member of that college while I am at Yale.”  The request should include the family member’s name, class year, relationship to you, and the name of the residential college.  Other requests for a specific residential college affiliation cannot be considered.

  3. A student who requests special consideration in rooming because of a disability or medical condition (including environmental allergies) must state the circumstances in a letter addressed to the Resource Office on Disabilities and must send appropriate supporting medical documentation, signed by a treating physician and on letterhead stationery. The student’s letter and the medical documentation may be sent separately, but both must be received by Monday, May 19, 2014. Send this information to:

    Director, Resource Office on Disabilities
    Yale University
    P.O. Box 208305
    New Haven, CT 06520-8305
    Fax: 203-432-8250

    A timely response is especially important because once a rooming assignment has been made it will not be possible to change it.

    Students with food allergies must notify the University so that plans can be made for necessary dietary considerations in dining halls.  To get instructions on how to let us know, please send an e-mail with the subject heading:

    ”Freshman Reporting Food Allergies”

    to anthony.kulikowski@yale.edu and include your name, full mailing address and a phone number at which we may be able to contact you.

Academic Advising Information

Academic advising at Yale is a collaborative effort shared by the residential colleges, academic departments, and offices connected to the Yale College Dean’s Office. Residential deans in each of the twelve colleges provide general academic advice about matters such as selecting courses, choosing a major, and satisfying requirements for promotion and graduation. Designated faculty in each of the academic departments and programs provide specific advice concerning placement in courses and requirements for the major. Advisers in offices allied to the Dean’s Office offer guidance about a wide range of interests including summer opportunities, study abroad, premedical planning, fellowships, and post-graduation plans.

In addition to these advisers, you will also have a Freshman Counselor and a Freshman Adviser who can assist with your transition to Yale and help you identify other relevant resources on campus. Your Freshman Counselor is a senior in your residential college who will live near you in your freshman entryway. Your Freshman Adviser is a faculty member or administrator affiliated with your residential college who has volunteered to talk with you about your academic interests and aspirations.

It is important to understand that you have a critical role to play in an advising relationship. Your advisers are conversation partners, not information booths, and you should prepare for these conversations by reflecting on your interests and goals. You can begin that conversation by thoughtfully answering the questions that relate to your academic and extra-curricular interests on the second half of this form.

Note: Be sure to use your Yale NetID For more information, see Activate Your NetID