Conferences and Major Events Checklist


Any undergraduate organization that conducts meetings periodically or sponsors activities on the campus of Yale University, that provides a service, or that raises funds within the University for charitable or other purposes must register (annually) with the Yale College Dean’s Office. See the online application for registration.

Use of University Classrooms and Facilities

Classroom buildings under the control of the Office of the Registrar (Faculty of Arts & Sciences) must be reserved by completing the “Classroom User Agreement” form provided by that office. Since there is a heavy demand on University facilities, requests should be submitted as soon as possible and, in any case, at least two weeks in advance of the event. A group or event representative must first meet with Associate Provost Jim Antony for event planning and approval.

Permission for use of the Old Campus must be secured from the Dean of Student Affairs or his or her designee. Permission for use of Cross-Campus or Hewitt Quadrangle (Beinecke Plaza) must be obtained from the Office of the President. Application for the use of these spaces must be made at least twenty-four hours in advance of a weekday event and forty-eight hours in advance of a weekend event.

Security & Safety

If fifty or more persons are expected to attend an organized social function an off-duty campus police officer must be engaged by the sponsoring organization and must be present throughout the event. University Police Department (YPD) must be notified at least two weeks prior to the event. The chief of University Police, or his or her designee, will determine whether police services are needed and the number of police appropriate for the event. A Request for Police Services form may be accessed via the YPD Web site.

Fire Marshal 

If the actual number of people expected to attend an organized social function exceeds fifty, it is the obligation of the host to engage the services (and approval) of the University Fire Marshal at once. Contact the Fire Marshal at 203-432-6888.

Office of Risk Management

All vendors hired by registered organizations (including, but not limited to, performers, caterers, and equipment rental companies) must provide proof of $2 million in liability insurance prior to performing any work or providing any service. Yale University must be named as an additional insured. Additionally, undergraduates may not enter into contracts or agreements with outside vendors/contractors without University review and approval, nor will the University’s automobile insurance policy (for travel while on official registered organization activity) cover student drivers who have not taken and passed the Driver Safety Awareness Class offered by the Office of Risk Management (ORM). For additional information, see Student Interest Topics on ORM’s Web site.

Use of Yale Name: Licensing & Trademark

No student organization may reproduce the Yale University seal in its literature or on its stationary. The full name of the organization, including any subtitle, must be included on all materials prepared by or for the organization (e.g., agreements, stationary, posters), with the exception of bank checks which, for tax purposes, must not include the Yale name. For additional information, see the Yale University Licensing Program web site via the Office of the Secretary’s Web site.

Distinguished Visitors or Speakers

An undergraduate organization that wishes to invite a head of state (past or present), cabinet members, ambassador, or other dignitary of similar rank to visit Yale must, at least a month in advance of the visitor’s arrival, inform the Secretary of the University and the Dean of Student Affairs and apprise both of the visitor’s proposed schedule while on campus.


Soliciting financial support from alumni and other outside sources (such as foundations and corporations) must be authorized by the Dean of Student Affairs and the Director of Development. To obtain such authorization, an organization must first provide the Dean of Student Affairs with a statement describing the purpose of the solicitation and the names and affiliations of prospective donors, as well as exact copies of all proposed solicitation materials. An organization may not contact prospective donors until it has received authorization in writing from the Dean of Student Affairs to do so. Permission to hold fundraising events on campus must also be requested in writing from the Dean of Student Affairs at least two weeks prior to the event.

Financial Records and Reports

Each undergraduate organization is fully responsible for its own finances. Officers should be aware that they are personally responsible for the payment of all debts incurred during the period for which they are responsible for the organization. A record of all income and expenses and supporting documentation is to be maintained at all times. These responsibilities include the submission of original receipts (“Receipts Submission” form) and account reconciliation. Financial records and reports may be audited by the University at any time. It is expected that receipts and supporting materials will be submitted two weeks after the scheduled event.