Health and Counseling
All students enrolled at least half time in a Yale degree program are provided with Basic Coverage at Yale Health Plan (YHP), located at 55 Lock Street. Yale Health Plan Basic Coverage includes the following services at no charge:
- Primary care through the Student Medicine department, including routine, ongoing, and wellness care as well as same-day care to accommodate immediate health issues. Services of specialty physicians are not covered unless you purchase YHP Hospitalization/Specialty Care (see below)
- Gynecology services, including annual exams and Pap smears
- Preventive medicine services, such as routine eye exams and flu shots
- Laboratory services
- Access to care after hours and on weekends and holidays through the Acute and After Hours Care department
- Mental health services
- Nutritional counseling
- Use of the Transitional Care Unit (Infirmary)
Students enrolled at least half time in a Yale degree program are also automatically enrolled in and billed a premium for both YHP Hospitalization/Specialty Care and YHP Prescription Plus. You may waive this coverage if you have comparable coverage through an alternate insurance carrier. To determine which level of coverage is right for you, please review “A Quick Guide to Yale Health Plan for Students” and the “Yale Health Plan Student Handbook.” You will receive an e-mail in June with instructions on how to waive YHP Hospitalization/Specialty Care and Prescription Plus.
Yale University requires students to complete immunization and health forms. You will not be permitted to enroll in classes until you have submitted all the forms and met the immunization requirements. For instructions and forms, visit the students’ section of the YHP Web site.