Yale Affiliate Auditing Program for Yale College Courses

The information and form on this page are for undergraduate courses only (i.e., courses numbered 100-499).

  • If you wish to audit graduate courses (i.e., courses numbered 500 or higher), consult the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences for its auditing procedures or contact the professional school whose course you wish to audit. 

Are you a current Yale University employee, or the spouse of a current Yale University employee, faculty member, emeritus faculty member, graduate student, undergraduate student, postdoctoral fellow, or postdoctoral associate? If yes, you fall into Category I and may audit Yale College courses in accordance with applicable personnel policies:

  • No fee; form. You may audit Yale College courses free of charge by submitting a Yale College Auditing Course Registration form with the appropriate signatures to the Special Programs Office. Please read the FAQs, below, for more information, on how to get started

Are you an undergraduate student enrolled full-time in Yale College or a graduate student enrolled full-time in one of the graduate or professional schools of the University, a current member of the Yale faculty, or an emeritus faculty memberIf yes, you fall into Category II:

  • No fee; no form​. You may audit Yale College courses free of charge with permission of the instructor, and you do not need to submit a Yale College Auditing Course Registration form. See also the FAQs, below

Are you a Yale University alumnus or alumna, or an alumni spouseIf yes, you fall into Category III

  • Fee; form. You may audit Yale College courses for a fee.  Please visit the Yale Alumni Auditing Program web page for rules, regulations, and registration procedures.

No persons other than those listed above may audit Yale College courses.


I’ve determined that I fall into one of the three categories, above. Whose permission do I need to audit a course, and do I need to submit a form?

Please use the chart, below, to determine whose permission you need and whether or not you need to submit a form.  Click on the word form to access the Yale Affiliate Auditing form.




Dir Spec Prog

Category I: form and signatures required

Yale University employees

x x x

Category I: form and signatures required

Spouses of Yale University employees, faculty members, emeritus faculty members, graduate students, undergraduate students, postdoctoral fellows, or postdoctoral associates

  x x

Category II: no form or signatures required; permission of the instructor required

Current members of the Yale faculty, emeritus faculty members, or students enrolled full-time in Yale College or in one of the graduate or professional schools of the University


Which courses may I audit?

The Yale Affiliate Auditing Program covers Yale College (undergraduate) courses only.  Generally speaking, those are courses numbered between 100-499. 

Please also note that instructors may set their own auditing policies, and that some accept auditors, while others do not.

May I audit a Graduate School or professional school course?

If you seek to audit a Graduate or professional school course, you must contact that school directly to inquire about their auditing procedures. The Yale Alumni Affiliate Program covers Yale College courses only.

Where do I find Yale College course information?

The Yale College Programs of Study contains a detailed description of the courses offered in Yale College. Online listings and course evaluations are also available through Yale Online Course Information

When is my auditing form due?

The deadline for submitting Yale College Auditing Registration forms coincides with the last day that undergraduate course schedules are due each term. Such dates are listed on the Yale College Calendar of Pertinent Deadlines.

Will I receive course credit for the courses I audit?

No, auditors do not earn course credits. If you wish to take classes for credit, please consider applying to the Non-Degree Students Program.


Ms. Donalee Slater (donalee.slater@yale.edu) 203-432-7035 or Ms. Sarah DelVecchio (sarah.delvecchio@yale.edu) 203-432-1037